Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to expect when homeschooling?

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 480 Total Views

2012-2013 year will be my daughter official preschool year so I have one more year to make sure that homeschooling is the right decision.  What advice can you seasoned homeschoolers give someone just starting out?

by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
blessings2all
by Welcome Squad on May. 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Observe your child.  You'll learn a lot about how she learns just by observing her.  Then you will get a feel for whether she is an auditory, visual, or kinesthetic (physical) learner.  We all need to be able to use all three of these to learn, but we tend to be a bit more dominant in one or two.

Read up on the various philosophies on homeschooling such as classical, unschooling, eclectic, traditional, online learning, etc.  This will help you when it comes time for choosing a curriculum.

Over time you learn to test different methods to figure out what works best with your child.  

Most important of all, be positive and have fun.  It will make your homeschooling experience much more enjoyable.

Many blessings,
Susan
HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you and fun for your kids

LearningOnlineBlog.com Online Learning Tips and Resources for Families That Home School Online

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on May. 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this

The best advice I can give is to not worry about "school" until grades 1 or 2.  Even then it needs to be relaxed so you can show them that learning is FUN.  Home education is right for most all families. Many just don't want to do it.  Enjoy the next 2 or 3 yrs by having fun.  Your child will learn all she needs through her everyday interactions with you. Read to her, do puzzles, color, play educational games, ect...  I promise that is all she needs.  I have home educated a lot of kids (all have graduated now but one) and they learn all they need this way :-)

smj1394
by Suzanne on May. 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Try not to stress out so much.  Have fun.  Learn with your children.  Let them tell you things that they are intrested in and fit them in somehow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)