Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

possibly planning to HS .... my honest feelings...

I am scared to: *loose my paycheck (I work as a part time Nail Tech about 25 hours per week) *"give up" on my carrear/clientelle that I have built/worked hard   to achieve for over 17 years now (I would have to completly start over  at building my clientelle back from scratch if I quit), *geting involved with a cirriculum/program that is too involved with $ and time consuming......

My son will be entering 1st grade this fall .... (and my daughter is almost 6 months old. ) He went to PS for kindergarten and it was difficult (but not horrible) for many reasons. I am feeling led (by God) to consider HS. I have two friends who HS and I have always secretly been jealous of them and the way that they get to interact with thier kids.

Honestly, even more  than the feelings of loosing my carrear and the worry about loss of income, I am MOST fearful about actually sending him back to PS! My son loves being an individual ... I let him dress himself and encourage him to have his own ideas - during kindergarten at PS, he began to question his own ideas/morals in order to "conform" :(  He became a picky eater which had NEVER happened until PS.

I am scared to send him back to the PS beehive (I volunteered a little this past year and I saw how difficult it is for a teacher to acomplish much -- too many interuptions and too little time in each area) for 35 hours per week and STILL have to spend AT LEAST 30minutes-1 hour every night on homework. I want to encourage his God given talents and abilities and also strengthen the weaker areas (in which we all have).

Time is  one of the few things that we can not get back .... I am scared to waste time and loose time with PS.

When I briefly mentioned this idea to DH, he simply said "we will have to file bankruptcy if you quit work" .... he is probably right..... 

I definantly feel led to "simplify" life/schedules/expectations/demands.

Can anyone relate to this mess that I have just typed here?......

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Replies (21-25):
KiriandWyatt
by Kiri on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying. I would just like to add if God is calling you then He will make everything fall into place you just have to keep praying on it and listening to the Holy Spirit. I often get to a point where I think how much easier it could be if I didn't homeschool but then the Holy Spirit will convect me and I will focus on the Lords will for my family and everything will fall right back into place.

With the PE question I put my son in Upwards during there seasons, plus we go bike riding or on hikes. I also work out at home so once I am done I instruct his workouts.

Good luck with everything. Let us know how it turns out :)

Mcat02
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM

If you are feeling led to HS, look up & see if they offer the free online program in your state like Connections Academy or the K-12 program. You can test the waters so to speak & because hs is a flexible thing you might not have to quit your job. Talk w/your fam & see if there is a way that they can help watch the kids when you are at work & on those days you can do their schooling when you get home.

If buying the cirriculum is a big obstical for you i'd relly look into the free version until you can afford to buy it.

Mcat02
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I have a quick question please don't think my stupid, lol. What is upwards? I've seen several people talk about it & i have no clue what it is.

Thanks

Quoting KiriandWyatt:

I agree with what everyone else is saying. I would just like to add if God is calling you then He will make everything fall into place you just have to keep praying on it and listening to the Holy Spirit. I often get to a point where I think how much easier it could be if I didn't homeschool but then the Holy Spirit will convect me and I will focus on the Lords will for my family and everything will fall right back into place.

With the PE question I put my son in Upwards during there seasons, plus we go bike riding or on hikes. I also work out at home so once I am done I instruct his workouts.

willsmomma4ever
by Testing the waters on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM

thanks for the info mommas!

I think that "UpWard" is a type of group sport such as : football, basketball or  soccer that is family based and dosent put a lot of emphasis on keeping "score" :)

KiriandWyatt
by Kiri on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Not a stupid question at all! I didn't know what it was a year ago lol. Upwards is a christian sports program. Some places have ever sport you can think of, and then others (like where I live) only have soccer and basketball oh and cheerleading. You can look up and see if there is any sports in your area by just typing in Upwards Basketball or Upwards Sports.

Quoting Mcat02:

I have a quick question please don't think my stupid, lol. What is upwards? I've seen several people talk about it & i have no clue what it is.

Thanks

Quoting KiriandWyatt:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN