Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is a note book anyway

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 987 Total Views

Hey all... Just curious on what the difference is between a lap book and a note book. I kind of picture it as a lapbook is for younger kids and a note book is for older kids ( like high school) Thanks..

Janine

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM

you mean no one knows what a NoteBook is? I just want some examples....

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

You have the right idea- I just don't use them so I don't have any examples for you ..sorry :(

LostTheSlipper
Today is a "blah" day.
Today at 6:40 PM
by Guidance on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Uh. As far as I know a notebook...is a notebook. Right? Just a notebook that the kids write their notes in/draw pictures/whatever to help them learn and remember. Maybe there's something else out there I'm unaware of. *shrugs*

Here's what I believe to be a good example of a lapbook (for younger kids, obviously):

I think if done well it could be used in elementary and middle school though, just with more in depth writing opportunities for MS'ers.

Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

What we do, my daughter is in 7th grade, is we use the notebooks for note taking...

The first 2 pages (we use 2 subject spiral notebooks for each subject) are the Table of Contents. 

The pages are then numbers L1, R1 (L1, L2, etc are the left hand pages and R1, R2, etc are the right hand pages).

So if we were doing Dinosaurs let say she may have the top of page L1 say "Jurasic Era" and she will take all her notes. Then R1 might be titled "Triasic Era" and she will take all her notes, etc.  She will write notes as she reads and then will put them in her table of contents.

She goes back and reviews these notes for tests, to write her weekly reports etc.  The table of contents makes it very simple for her to find whatever we have been working on or to review something.

She has a notebook for each subject as well as a journal she writes in daily.  Her math notebook has a table of contents and the only real difference is the L pages are her notes and the R pages are her practice problems.

Her journal has a table of contents as well so she can find entries easily should she want to show them to someone.

Hope that helps!

here are a few photos....

table of contents..

Notes she took from reading....

sometimes we staple worksheets or other things in them

math notebook..formula's on L side and practice problems on R side...

Anryan

SnailGal
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The original poster probably meant "what is notebooking", not what is a traditional sprial notebook. You can see what a lapbook is in the above video. Notebooking is a similar idea, except it uses less minibooks (though they are still sometimes added to pages) and focuses a bit more on writing. The pages would probably be bound or put into a 3 ring binder. You can find many free notebooking pages online if you google it.

If you go to flickr and search notebooking pages there is a group with tons of examples of finished pages by homeschoolers. There is also a lapbooking group on flickr so you could compare the two.

Lapbooks could really be used by any age range, but older kids might find less interest in it unless they already like scrapbooking. Notebooking probably looks more mature or "grown-up", but don't be turned off by young looking lapbooks, as you could make some very nice high school level ones if that's what you guys wanted.

buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Here is a good explanation with examples.

http://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/teacherslounge/notebooking.php

Just as a reminder, if you do not get a response or it gets lots in the shuffle, just give it a bump.  Not everyone clicks on each forum.  I, personally, only look at what posts are new or recently updated.  I don't have time to go through each forum.  I have never seen a post deliberately ignore, but more of overlooked. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)