Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Texas moms?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 1311 Total Views

What are the laws about homeschooling in Texas?

How long has you been homeschooling?

How old are your kids now and what grade?

What method or style or homeschooling do you use?

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
banana-bear
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM
There aren't any laws really. Have your kids been enrolled in public school before? If so, you'll need to write a letter of intent to withdraw and give it to administration at the school. If not, don't worry about it.

I've been homeschooling since December, so not even a year. My style is basically like school at home. I stay strict on schedule, do every subject each day, keep arts, music and PE in the schedule as well. My daughter will be 6 next month, just finished kindergarten (but really she was doing 1st and 2nd grade work). My goal is to get her back in PS so I wanted to keep it as most like school as I could.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by Neely on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM

my son is due to start K in Fall 2012..this fall

Quoting banana-bear:

There aren't any laws really. Have your kids been enrolled in public school before? If so, you'll need to write a letter of intent to withdraw and give it to administration at the school. If not, don't worry about it.

I've been homeschooling since December, so not even a year. My style is basically like school at home. I stay strict on schedule, do every subject each day, keep arts, music and PE in the schedule as well. My daughter will be 6 next month, just finished kindergarten (but really she was doing 1st and 2nd grade work). My goal is to get her back in PS so I wanted to keep it as most like school as I could.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I am  not in TX now but I did my first 12 or so years there.  You don't have to do anything in TX as far a notifying, testing, ect..  It is a great homeschool state!!  Just teach the basics :-)   Since your child has not even started school don't even notify the school or anything.  Just more headache possibly if you do.   When I first began home educating my oldest was 13 yrs old (he is now 32 and home educates his children)  so I used all ABeka with him.  With the younger kids I don't use any "curriculum" until they are 6 - 7 yrs old.   I am in my 20th yr of home educating now.   I am down to my last one and she is 14 :-)  

aneela
by Neely on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

oh wow nice...thank you so much...so you never even had to send in a notice to the state about it?

Quoting bren_darlene:

I am  not in TX now but I did my first 12 or so years there.  You don't have to do anything in TX as far a notifying, testing, ect..  It is a great homeschool state!!  Just teach the basics :-)   Since your child has not even started school don't even notify the school or anything.  Just more headache possibly if you do.   When I first began home educating my oldest was 13 yrs old (he is now 32 and home educates his children)  so I used all ABeka with him.  With the younger kids I don't use any "curriculum" until they are 6 - 7 yrs old.   I am in my 20th yr of home educating now.   I am down to my last one and she is 14 :-)  

KiriandWyatt
by Kiri on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Nope you never have to notify anyone UNLESS you already have him signed in public school. In which case you have to write a letter notifying them your intent to pull him from public school to homeschool. They can not stop you in anyway.

I am going on my 6th school year with my son in TX

He is 8 and going into 3rd grade this coming school year

Method I guess you could say is eclectic (just whatever works for him) mostly we will be doing unit studies with lapbooks.

smalltownmom03
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Quoting KiriandWyatt:

Nope you never have to notify anyone UNLESS you already have him signed in public school. In which case you have to write a letter notifying them your intent to pull him from public school to homeschool. They can not stop you in anyway.

I am going on my 6th school year with my son in TX

He is 8 and going into 3rd grade this coming school year

Method I guess you could say is eclectic (just whatever works for him) mostly we will be doing unit studies with lapbooks.

If you go to the school and sign the withdraw papers you dont have to write a letter. The letter is to withdraw them from school without actually going up there. 

banana-bear
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

FWIW, I had to go up to the school and give them the letter - there were not any papers to sign for withdrawal. Could be different in each school or school district.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

If you go to the school and sign the withdraw papers you dont have to write a letter. The letter is to withdraw them from school without actually going up there. 

smalltownmom03
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM

It could be. For me it was just the normal papers that you would sign if you were moving and withdawing your child to go to another PS. Except that they put that I was withdawing to homeschool and not to go to another PS. 

Quoting banana-bear:

FWIW, I had to go up to the school and give them the letter - there were not any papers to sign for withdrawal. Could be different in each school or school district.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM

No, you don't have to!  :-)

Quoting aneela:

oh wow nice...thank you so much...so you never even had to send in a notice to the state about it?

Quoting bren_darlene:

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

badgermom2012
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

There is a lot of freedom in Texas as far as homeschooling.  It is considered a private school.  You aren't required to do anything other than notify the school district that you'll be homeschooling and that's it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN