Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the laws about homeschooling in Texas?

How long has you been homeschooling?

How old are your kids now and what grade?

What method or style or homeschooling do you use?

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Replies (11-19):
aneela
by Neely on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM

that;s if you are already in a school..but if you are not...then you dont even have to do that? is that right?

Quoting badgermom2012:

There is a lot of freedom in Texas as far as homeschooling.  It is considered a private school.  You aren't required to do anything other than notify the school district that you'll be homeschooling and that's it.  

badgermom2012
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I think it depends on your school district.  I know homeschooling families in my district that were contacted by admin asking why their children weren't enrolled in school, so they had to send a letter saying they were homeschooling.  

Quoting aneela:

that;s if you are already in a school..but if you are not...then you dont even have to do that? is that right?

Quoting badgermom2012:

There is a lot of freedom in Texas as far as homeschooling.  It is considered a private school.  You aren't required to do anything other than notify the school district that you'll be homeschooling and that's it.  

aneela
by Neely on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

ok thanks...we are not yet in Tx but will be moving there in a couple months...just for start of school K in Fall

Quoting badgermom2012:

I think it depends on your school district.  I know homeschooling families in my district that were contacted by admin asking why their children weren't enrolled in school, so they had to send a letter saying they were homeschooling.  

Quoting aneela:

Quoting badgermom2012:

smorgan7204
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

There are some rules about what subjects to cover.  See 1.c. of the document at this link (obtained from HSLDA).  I have been homeshooling for 2  years though and no one has ever checked. They are pretty basic subject areas that most everyone teaches anyway.  http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Texas.pdf

aneela
by Neely on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

ok thank you... :-)

Quoting smorgan7204:

There are some rules about what subjects to cover.  See 1.c. of the document at this link (obtained from HSLDA).  I have been homeshooling for 2  years though and no one has ever checked. They are pretty basic subject areas that most everyone teaches anyway.  http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Texas.pdf

simplysarahd
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Texas is a homeschooler friendly state, thank God!

I homeschooled my oldest for 1st grade, two years ago. We are considering homeschooling all three of our kids, once our younger two (ages 16 mo and almost 3) are a year or two older. By then our oldest will be in 4th or 5th grade. :)

For my oldest we may use a virtual school, for my little ones I would like to use My Father's World. :)

Caribgal
by Testing the waters on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Any homeschool moms in Houston (tx)? We just moved to Northwest Houston and are in desperate need of a homeschooling support group.frustrated

BASHhomeschool
by Testing the waters on Jun. 10, 2014 at 6:59 AM

There are actually laws pertaining to homeshcooling in Texas...they are just very few and really easy to follow. I wrote an article about it summarizing them if anyone is interested:

http://voices.yahoo.com/is-homeschooling-legal-texas-12669741.html?cat=25

If you have never been to public school you do not need to notify anyone. If you are withdrawing, I highly recommend sending the letter and not filling out any paperwork. Do not give them any more than you have to and do not think you have to tell them what curriculum you are using. You do not. 

THSC has a good article including sample letters: http://www.thsc.org/getting-started/7-easy-steps-to-begin/withdraw-from-public-school/ 

We have been homeschooling about 5 years now. We withdrew our oldest in Kindergarten and the other two have been homeschooled from the start.

I have 9, 6 and 4 - 4th, 1st and K

We are eclectic in our approach but maintain a fairly intense schedule

We live in San Antonio now (just started a homeschool group) and moved from Houston where we started homeshcooling. We have never had any problems

BASHhomeschool
by Testing the waters on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:01 AM

For those in Houston, I highly recommend CHA, Cypress Homeschool Association - a great group of people, lots of activities.

For those in SA, feel free to contact me if you are interested in my group...we do a ton of activities and have a co-op

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN