Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Math suggestions for 6th grade?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 946 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I need suggestions/reviews for a good math curriculum for 6th grade. We have used Saxon, Horizons, Singapore and A Beka for the past 2 years. My ds is good with numbers and catches on fairly quickly, but he detests math! It is a struggle every day. I want a thorough program, but one not too time intensive. I think if we have too spend hours on math, it would be Counterproductive. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MentorMom1
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Yes. Teaching Textbooks. These were created by Greg and Shawn Sabouri, mathmeticians who used to run a private school in  Oklahoma City. My youngest was in their math class in the 11th grade, a class where they got the kinks out of their Algebra II curriculum when they were first developing that level. They are very accessible and will talk to you on the phone.

They developed Teaching Textbooks because they didn't think Saxon books had enough instruction for students. Saxon was approved for classroom use, and apparently, teachers did not want too much instruction in the materials, apparently that was supposed to be their job. But this is what Teaching Textbook gives you: The level of math textbook that you need, with DVDs that have Greg (or Shawn's?) voice, actually demonstrating the lessons. They give so much instruction, much more than Saxon. And the kids get the hear it and see it in front of them. It's great. It costs a little more, but kids learn the math in a very understandable way. And if you have a problem, you can call them up. My daughter really liked it. And when she went to public high school in her senior year she signed up for more math, which she didn't need for credit. TT was a good experience.

Visit me at http://www.familyfieldguide.com/.

Danielle163
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I agree with MentorMom. Teaching Textbooks are very handy for explaining everything in detail. We use TT along with Singapore. Great resale value, also.

calimom1123
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM
(BJU)Bob jones university the newest edition is good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncstress
by Helping Hands on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM

We use MEPs http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm for my 4, 8 and 12 yo boys.  They really like it and have learned so much more! You might try either year 6 or year 7 just depending on your preference for covering the material.  My 12 yo is doing year 7.  Good luck!

chanysmom
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses!

NCSTRESS, how does MEP work?  I went on the website and I wasn't sure if I had to purchase something or if it is all on the website?  Is there a teacher guide? Thanks

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Teaching Textbooks is good for a child who enjoys working on the computer. It is mastery based, not spiral (so not for a child who needs a lot of review). Also, it tends to be a bit behind other programs, so make sure your child takes the placement test. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it for a child who does very well in math or who catches on very quickly.

CLE Math is our favorite for my daughter. Spiral, no frills, but interesting. It's a set of 10 "light units" that teaches directly to the student and the student writes in the textbook/worktext (so there is no copying problems). Conversely, this program tends to be a bit AHEAD of other programs; again, make sure to use the placement tests.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

bmw29
by Bobbie on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM
We personally love Life of Fred. It makes the math fun instead of tedious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncstress
by Helping Hands on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Quoting chanysmom:

Thanks for all the responses!

NCSTRESS, how does MEP work?  I went on the website and I wasn't sure if I had to purchase something or if it is all on the website?  Is there a teacher guide? Thanks

You can print it out, order the stuff, or if the pages for your year are interactive you can just do it online

and the answers are automatically corrected. We print it out and it is set up so that each part has the activity

book, lesson plans which you can do just about verbatim, and there are also copy masters if you need them.

It is designed for a school classes so if you do year 6 on down the time is noted about how long the lesson

should take but we've usually taken way less time. If you work on year 7-9 it can be done with the lesson

plans or your child can do the reading on their own and then the lessons and again it can be printed or

ordered. The year 7-9 lessons I have found are much less intensive for lesson plans and sometimes

my son will do the lesson on his own. Hope this helps-oh, there is also a yahoo group for MEPs that is great

if you have any questions or need passwords or anything!

chanysmom
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Thanks so much for the info, I will check into it further!
Momand10
by Testing the waters on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally enjoy Saxon Math, but if you have tried it and it is a bit intense.  I recommend Math-U-See.  There is a teacher - Steven Demme - is on a DVD teaching your child.  The lessons are straightforward, smaller than the other curriculae (15 questions to the very popular 30), and quick.  Sometimes my children need help deciphering some issue that they didn't understand by the teacher, but you are given a teacher's instruction book as well and can teach the lessons in tandem, or in lieu of the DVD.  You can get on the website by just typing Math-U-See.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN