Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMGosh, I need help picking science curriculum (5th grade)

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 683 Total Views
Hey gals,
My soon-to-be fifth grader has always done very well in science, but he does have APD.
I need fifth grade appropriate science curriculum (religious or secular) that has a lot of hands on experiments.
REAL Science Odyssey looks like fun with well written material, but it's for grades 1-4 and you have to gather a lot of odd materials to do the projects.

Home Science Adventures looks better, says its for up to 8th grade and everything needed is included (and it's much cheaper.) although, reviewers have said it is more experiments than learning.

Anyone use these or prefer something else?
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Hey Heather....There are quite a few different ones to choose from. Right now we use Elemental Science and it has experiments. It does have a fair amount of writing with it. Comes with a Student Workbook and Teacher's Guide and Quizzes, tells you what extra books you will need, includes 1-2 book reports on scientists, you can do it on a 5-day or 2-day schedule, pretty much open and go, and is very reasonably priced ( $30.00 for the set on RRC), etc. Here are others you might check out:

Supercharged Science--This is done by a woman that use to work for NASA and is online. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The Jason Project--Online

Science Fusion--Combines a worktext and online components

Plato Middle School Science--online, this goes on into H.S.

CK-12.org.--Have not checked this out

Building Foundations of Scientific Knowledge--Nebel P.H.D.--You can buy this on Amazon, and it has three levels

Some people just cover a certain area of science every year, some cover all areas, just depends on what you want to do. I follow Rupp's book for Science and then also throw in what would be covered for that grade suggested by The Well-Trained Mind. Totally up to you.

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

My daughter is a rising 6th grader who, like yours, does well in science and enjoys it.

We are using (for next year):

Behold and See 6 (Catholic, therefore it will have a theistic evolution bent, I imagine)

TOPS Physics units

Ellen McHenry Units (she has units for chemistry, carbon chemistry, and biology; Autumn LOVES these)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I have 3 boys, 12, 8 and 4 and they love www.superchargedscience.com and have learned and retained alot! Even if you just sign up for free teleclasses and the newsletter-but it is greatly organized and help is readily available if you have questions!

buzymom93
by Korah on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

we love the Christian Kids Explore series.. its great and hands on

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, boys... Mario, 19yrs, and Isaiah, 7yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

coronado25
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

What ever the curriculum you choose, make sure it covers mitosis and meiosis!  The importance of understanding these two processes is imperative in order to clearly understand the basis of all plant and animal biology. IMHO it should be taught in first grade! 

Good luck to you and kudos!

No_Difference
by Nikki on Jul. 25, 2012 at 5:56 PM

We were going to use REAL Science Odyssey and then a bunch of the moms I met this summer who also homeschool suggested REAL Science 4 Kids. its only 10 week sets though (or designed for that length of time anyway). One of the moms said her family loved it and just recently switched because they didn't have anymore for them to continue all 4 of her kids (various ages, oldest is in highschool) to be able to study together. I just recently got the stuffs, and the experiments use around the house items for the most part. I think it has at least Chemistry through highschool so you should be good for 5th grade stuff :)

Kivara
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Thanks for all the ideas.
I've ordered God's design for science (humans) to start the year.
I'm waiting on the curriculum to come in, so I can see how much science is included in the unit study I picked.
If there's not enough science in there, I will definitely be looking into your suggestions!
blessedwith
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM

We just started with apoligia science last year, and I LOVED it....SO much better than BJU science we were using before it.

We did the flying creatures of the 5th day last year, and there were a ton of things to do, observing, finding, nature walk kinds of things, and we didn't need anything special to do it...truly geared to the homeschool, which was my biggest complaint about BJU.

bmw29
by Bobbie on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Real science Odyssey has level 1 for 1-4 but they also have level 2 for older kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mynameismuerte
by Amie on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

We used Elemental Science last year and enjoyed it.  We're using REAL science odyssey this year (I like the layout better) but ES was cheaper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)