Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do I start?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 553 Total Views

I've already been working with Luke for the past couple months on certain things, not really doing anything hardcore yet. He'll be 4 Oct 29 and I don't know if I'm supposed to start him on a certain day and I don't know what books he needs or I need. I'm looking into the local Christian academy because we want bible based schooling and for one yr is around $300. My hubby wants me to do more looking around before making a decision. We also looked into Home School Heartbeat because they sponser our Christian radio station. There's so many different places to choose from and I feel like I'm almost out of time but I don't know what I'm doing yet. 

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM
You have plenty of time. Your ds will learn best through play at his age. Just give him lots of hands on learning and, if he wants more, follow his interests.
JesusMySavior
by Testing the waters on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Thank you so much for relieving me of the stress I tend to put on myself. He has already finished learning to write his capital letters and we've started his lowercase Fri. He even asked if we could do his letters yesterday but I told him it was Sat and we didn't have to do any more work til Mon but he insisted. I'm so glad he wants to learn, he's such a smart kid. We went to visit my mom Thurs and she mouthed the words "I love you" to Luke and he said with a big grin "I love you too Gamma", I thought she was going to cry. He's been teaching himself to read lips and his dr said he's very smart for his age and that made me feel so good knowing my hubby and I are the primary influence in his life. More moms should consider homeschooling there kids.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM

If he wants to work on Saturday, unless you really dont want to I would let him.  My kids work on any day of the week they want to till we start "real" homeschool at 5. 

I use k12 then, atleast for now, and they do have to get so much done for it to count.  Ussually by the week end my girls are all booked out but they still ask questions and want to cook and read.  We also go to the park and they learn on the way there. 

Our park has a duck pond and when they learned about ducks spreading oil on thier feathers, they saw it and started discussing it between themselves and with me and thier father.  They have had discussion about different types of trees, plants and animals on our walks. 

Everyday they learn something new.  They have workbooks they can work on if they choose to do so, but I dont have to help them with those, they are easy enough for them to do themselves.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Quoting debramommyof4:

If he wants to work on Saturday, unless you really dont want to I would let him.  My kids work on any day of the week they want to till we start "real" homeschool at 5. 

I use k12 then, atleast for now, and they do have to get so much done for it to count.  Ussually by the week end my girls are all booked out but they still ask questions and want to cook and read.  We also go to the park and they learn on the way there. 

Our park has a duck pond and when they learned about ducks spreading oil on thier feathers, they saw it and started discussing it between themselves and with me and thier father.  They have had discussion about different types of trees, plants and animals on our walks. 

Everyday they learn something new.  They have workbooks they can work on if they choose to do so, but I dont have to help them with those, they are easy enough for them to do themselves.

We school just about 7 days per week, as long as the kids are asking for it.

At 4 y/p you can do a lot through guided play. You can also check out www.letteroftheweek.com. They are an awesome free resource for the pre-k crowd. Every state has different laws but most don't have any requirements until age 6 or 7 so you don't need to worry about start times or subjects or meeting any requirements till then. But I'd just check the laws in your state to be familiar with them.

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)