Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to encourage writing skills.

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 1039 Total Views
So far I have done everything orally or through computer/tablet learning.

My son spelling, math, reading compensation, and even art drawing skills are where I want them to be or better, but he refuses to learn to write half the alphabet. He says he wants to write but quickly becomes frustrated and scribble over the whole page before we even get started. Like today, he just had to draw wave lines, and then straight lines going up and down, but he couldn't complete that, I have tried going straight for the letters, using the tablet, pudding, shaving cream, nothing is working and we are both getting upset.

I have tried leaving it alone, but out conversations usually go this way.

mommy can you help me spell my name, sure honey, write an 's'
I don't know how to write an 's' can you show me, I show him, we have the same conservation about half the letters in his name. Then he ask me to help him get better, and I try, and I either get mad because he will purposefully scribble over the whole page, or he gets upset saying he can't do it. He is five by the way.

He wants to so badly but if a letter has a curve in it he had issues. He can write the following letters w, W, T, Y, I,, i H, I,L,l z,Z, X, x, V,v N, o, O. That is it, basically if it has a curve he can't do it, or so he says, because he had written almost all off then correctly at one time in his life but form memory only those letters.

And the other letters are all hit and miss. And lots of tears.
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eesmommy
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:07 AM
They hav echeap place ls mats that have the alphabet on them, to me it sounds like he is lazy and knows you wil back down and help him. I would say try the mat, make him use it, refuse to help him and if you assign him a writing lesson and he complains have him write a few then have a three minute break then back for fiftenn minutes then three minute break until its finished.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1313diane
by Testing the waters on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Snowpeasmom,

My son is 8 years old and still has some handwriting problems. He tries to write very big and sloppy. However, that is a huge improvement over what he started out with. One of his teachers suggested we work on his fine motor skills instead of his hand writing. It did seem to help. We bought a book at Mardel's Book store that was called Activities for Fine Motor Skills Development for Pre K- 1st grade. It has activities like stringing beads on yarn, cutting and pasting, and even some sign language just to help them with hand eye connections. It cost us about $20.00, but I have recently seen less thick versions (and more cost efficient) versions of this book at WalMart. I am pretty sure you can find free activities on line for fine motor skills. The teacher said not to focus on the hand writing itself but on the finger flexability and motor skills. I really hope this has helped even a little.

Shana - 1313diane

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM
How old is he? And there are some great early writing apps available.
snowpeasmom
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM
He is 5.

Quoting KickButtMama:

How old is he? And there are some great early writing apps available.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM

My son had a lot of problems like that, and it was because he had motor skill problems holding pencils and things like that - if he's having problems but can't tell you that may be where some of his frustration is coming from.

My son is autistic though - and at 8 1/2 he can write pretty well now, but at 5, when we started kindergarten, the key to getting him to write was tracing the letters with a pencil until he had it basically muscle memory in his hands to do it.

jessradtke
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

This isn't an uncommon problem, especially for boys, but some kids have a more difficult time than others. My son had a LOT of issues with writing when he was younger. It was so frustrating for him because he obviously wanted to do it but just couldn't. We found that he does have left-right tracking difficulties, cross dominance issues (left eye, right hand), dyslexia and dysgraphia, but I approach those things as learning differences not disabilities. He can learn, it just takes a unique approach and lots of time and patience. My son types as much as possible so that he can get thoughts down without the stress of handwriting. When he really wanted to write when he was younger we had ways of making it work. Sometimes I would lightly write the letters that gave him trouble in pencil and he would trace them. Sometimes he used stencils. He has sensory issues so things like pudding, sand, shaving cream, and sidewalk chalk didn't work for us, but they do help some kids. As he got older he used graph paper to help with spacing and lining up. To help with his fine motor control without the stress of writing, we did a lot of arts and crafts. We also did large motor exercises for his cross dominance issues. It took a long time to see progress and writing will always be a little bit difficult for him, but he can and does do it now without major issues.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I cant help you other than to say good luck.  My son is 3 1/2 and he refuses to hold his pencil correctly.  I just want him to hold it correctly.  I do know my girls enjoyed writing more when we made it a game. 

SarahNElijah
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
At that age we just wrote stories, letters to friends and family, wrote short sentences about our unit studies, made treasure hunts, wrote down recipes he made, made bday cards, etc. Anything he was interested in! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Prahl
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I write it down and have my 5 year old write over what I write. When its letters she can do numbers by herself with very little help. Patience he will get there. When my little one gets upset I tell her its okay I known how you must feel. I see your getting frustrated so lets take a 5 min break and come back to it when your more calm. Make it a good experience because you don't want him to hate writing.
oahoah
by Helping Hands on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have a chalkboard or dry erase board put his name on it for him to be able to see whenever he wants. We bought my 5 y/o a scribble n' write Leapfrog product for this past Christmas when he was still 4 and he really liked it and it helped him a lot.  We also do a lot of fine motor skills projects. My oldest is nearly 8 and he still doesn't like to write, we took a long break from forcing the issue and it helped.  We were in the same rut as you, he would get mad or impatient and scribble over it and I would get upset and those few moments of my impatience were really undoing any progress we were making.  Maybe you can just take a break from it for a while. If he asks for help show him the board, or even his name on construction paper or somewhere that he can see. we have alphabet fridge magnets in addition to a chalkboard and dry erase boards.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)