Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to encourage writing skills.

Posted by   + Show Post
So far I have done everything orally or through computer/tablet learning.

My son spelling, math, reading compensation, and even art drawing skills are where I want them to be or better, but he refuses to learn to write half the alphabet. He says he wants to write but quickly becomes frustrated and scribble over the whole page before we even get started. Like today, he just had to draw wave lines, and then straight lines going up and down, but he couldn't complete that, I have tried going straight for the letters, using the tablet, pudding, shaving cream, nothing is working and we are both getting upset.

I have tried leaving it alone, but out conversations usually go this way.

mommy can you help me spell my name, sure honey, write an 's'
I don't know how to write an 's' can you show me, I show him, we have the same conservation about half the letters in his name. Then he ask me to help him get better, and I try, and I either get mad because he will purposefully scribble over the whole page, or he gets upset saying he can't do it. He is five by the way.

He wants to so badly but if a letter has a curve in it he had issues. He can write the following letters w, W, T, Y, I,, i H, I,L,l z,Z, X, x, V,v N, o, O. That is it, basically if it has a curve he can't do it, or so he says, because he had written almost all off then correctly at one time in his life but form memory only those letters.

And the other letters are all hit and miss. And lots of tears.
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Replies (11-15):
faeriemom1972
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

This has been the hardest thing for me and I'm only just starting to let it go and be happy with what my son is doing. It's really only hard when I'm in a situation and it comes up that my 6 year old isn't reading or writing yet. They instantly forget how smart they just said he was based on his vocabulary and general behaviour. I swear, we are in serious danger of becoming hermits, lol.

southernwldchld
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Quoting faeriemom1972:

This has been the hardest thing for me and I'm only just starting to let it go and be happy with what my son is doing. It's really only hard when I'm in a situation and it comes up that my 6 year old isn't reading or writing yet. They instantly forget how smart they just said he was based on his vocabulary and general behaviour. I swear, we are in serious danger of becoming hermits, lol.

I had the same issues with my oldest ds. He was in pre-readers until he was almost 8, now he'll be 9 in a few months and is in a 4th grade reading level. We just backed off and let him go at his own pace. Encouraged him, got some sight word flash cards and he just took off. Now I'm having to do the same with writing. 

iHay
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM
There's tablets that have the letters for the kids to trace, work on his fine motor skills, and keep reminding him it doesnt have to be perfect. Practice makes perfect. The most valuable lesson my son as learned this year (he's 5) is "try again". Its the first thing ive seen that lowers his frustration level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jody59
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM

If he is very young you may want to wait a while. But here are some suggestions: Get a tray of sand and write with his finger in the sand. or, you write the letters on sand paper , with a maker and he practices tracing them with his finger, Use a wipe off board. Buy or make a laminated copy of the alphabet and practice this way . Make a little story or poem to walk him through the shape as he writes the letter.

Best of luck,

Jody

The Writing Course

Jody59
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM

For the reluctant writer: If he can't physically write yet, encourage him by typing out or writing his story as he dictates it to you. Maybe he drew a picture and you write what he says about it. Copy work is also good practice. If he can write but is just reluctant then I recommend this writing course.

The Writing Course

Good Luck,

Jody

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)