Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting to Homeschool my girls!!!! Need help getting started.....

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 643 Total Views

girl giving flowerHave been looking since my girls got out of school for some homeschooling programs or help online and cant seem to find any!!!!   The new school year is going to start soon and I don't know what to do or even where to start.   Can someone please help me!!!!!  Girls are 13 and 15,  grades 8 and 10.

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Danielle163
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Do you mean like online schools? If so, you might want to check and see if k12 or Connections Academy are free in your state.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Are you looking for curriculum? Or an online school? There are many different accredited online high schools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peach1991
by Testing the waters on Jul. 24, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Oh, thanks!  Have checked both out.  Not in our state. 

littleacorn
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM
3 moms liked this
First step would be to find out your state's homeschooling laws. Hslda.org has a nice state by state listing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peach1991
by Testing the waters on Jul. 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Right now, I'm looking for both.   Trying to see if I can get something online thats free but nothing so far in our state.   Really don't know where to start or how to start the homeschooling.  Missed the homeschooling expo in May cause we didnt decide till June to start homeschooling.  Just feeling alittle lost right now reading everything out there!!   Thanks...

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 24, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Definitely find out what your state's homeschooling laws are first. You can check them out at HSLDA. Click on the Laws tab and it'll take you to a map where you can find your state. Their servers are down for maintenance this morning, but they'll be up again soon.

Will you be homeschooling just for this year or do you plan to homeschool until graduation? If you're just doing it for the year, you might consider picking your classes by what the local school schedule would be for this year so your girls have covered the same material as the rest of their class. If you're in it for the long haul, however, you have a lot more latitude in planning what they'll take and when.

If they're on a college track (and it never hurts to get them ready, no matter what they choose to do later), I recommend picking up the book College Prep Homeschooling by David and Chandra Byers. I checked it out of the library so many times that I finally decided to buy it! It has a lot of useful information not only about high school classes, but about what students really need to be ready for university.

I have a 10th grade girl, too, and we just started homeschooling this spring. What a ride!

doriselm
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I just started my two girls 7 - 2nd grade, and 13 - 9th grade, we started right after they got out of school. I was trying to get my high schooler into virtual school, but they won't accept children who have never been in public school, so I decided to just do it myself. I went with a program I have heard only good things about and they also help in so many ways and tutor and such. It's not easy and for me kind of scary with high school because of the credits and all, but so far I really like it. I am doing Homeschool of Your Dreams for my 9th grader and find it great! OUr state has the virtual school and costs nothing, but other states have them too. In FL we also have to fill out a form of intend to homeschool, don't know about other states. But that would be your first step and then trying to figure out if they should do online or you as teacher. There are a lot of great things out there and not too expensive either or even free. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)