Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you show the state that your child IS learning?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 1184 Total Views

Hey, I was told that some states have to prove that their children learn. Either through test or activity sheets. How do unschooling kids do that if the reason of unschool is not having those things UNLESS the child wants to. Thanks.

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
novachick
by Testing the waters on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Idk. I live in Nevada where we only have to exempt our kids either at age 7 or whenever you pull them out of regular school. That is the one and only regulation on homeschooling in this state :) I LOVE it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2.5boys
by Helping Hands on Jul. 29, 2012 at 3:27 AM

There are ways of getting around it. Here in Florida, if i registered my children as home-schoolers, I would have to keep a portfolio and have them evaluated every year (either by taking the state test, or having a certified teacher review their portfolio). But, to get around all that, I've enrolled my kids in an umbrella school. I only have to submit attendance reports to the school. No portfolios, no testing, no evaluations. My kids are counted among private schoolers instead home-schoolers.

littleacorn
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM
We don't have to prove anything to anyone here in Michigan, but I was just looking over Ohio's hs'ing laws (because my oldest is likely going to be here part of the school year and at his dad's part of the year, so I wanted to make sure he was legal both places), and it looks like there a teacher can sign off on a portfolio which could consist of pretty much ANYTHING the kid did throughout the year, standardized testing (barf, I know), or some other assessment tool agreed upon by the superintendent (sp?) of the school district and the parent. So my guess is there is a wide degree of possibilities. I know a friend of mine that unschools keeps binders that she uses to stick in anything that could possibly be perceived as school-ish "just in case" anyone ever tried to cause problems with her educational choices for her kids. At the end of the year, she'd discard most of the previous year's stuff and just keep a few choice pieces to show progress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

It depends on the state laws.  My state is highly regulated and I know lots of unschoolers.  It's all paperwork.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM
We live in an unregulated state, but just because we are child led doesn't mean the kids have nothing to show for it. We often do lapbooks or write stories, make videos etc. so if ever I had to finagle a portfolio I'm sure we'd have plenty to put in one. The only difference is I don't force work or specific types of work. It doesn't mean no work is done. Oh and I often scrapbook our learning adventures.
morriganna
by Testing the waters on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I was planning to start this year in Florida, how does that work?  I looked up umbrella schools and it seems you pretty much pay them a registration fee and that's it?  You just check a sheet saying they "attended" class everyday?  This is the first I've heard of an umbrella school. 

Quoting my2.5boys:

There are ways of getting around it. Here in Florida, if i registered my children as home-schoolers, I would have to keep a portfolio and have them evaluated every year (either by taking the state test, or having a certified teacher review their portfolio). But, to get around all that, I've enrolled my kids in an umbrella school. I only have to submit attendance reports to the school. No portfolios, no testing, no evaluations. My kids are counted among private schoolers instead home-schoolers.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Quoting morriganna:

Each umbrella school is different. For some, all you do is register with them and keep an attendance record. Others will have a bigger hand in your schooling by approving your full curriculum. It really just depends on the umbrella.

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

my2.5boys
by Helping Hands on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:29 AM

It does depend on which umbrella school you choose. The one I went with is called Florida Unschoolers. There is no registration fee, and attendance is reported once a quarter, via an online form. It really is simple and easy.

Quoting morriganna:

I was planning to start this year in Florida, how does that work?  I looked up umbrella schools and it seems you pretty much pay them a registration fee and that's it?  You just check a sheet saying they "attended" class everyday?  This is the first I've heard of an umbrella school. 

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. ------from Desiderata Written by Max Ehrmann in 1927

iHay
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Six miles! Im six miles from that! Instead im dealing with california. Makes me want to move six miles east.

Quoting novachick:

Idk. I live in Nevada where we only have to exempt our kids either at age 7 or whenever you pull them out of regular school. That is the one and only regulation on homeschooling in this state :) I LOVE it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by Doula Cheri on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Quoting iHay:

Six miles! Im six miles from that! Instead im dealing with california. Makes me want to move six miles east.

Quoting novachick:

Have you had trouble in California? All i ever did was register as a private school and keep attendance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)