Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preschool homeschooling

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 462 Total Views

AFter being a classroom teacher for 13 years I am now staying home to homeschool my daughter and watch my nephew who is 1.  Getting ideas for the structure of a preschool homeschool routine and schedule. Any advice?

by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mommy2Phenley
by Anne on Aug. 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM
I started with DD at 2.5, she's 4 now. I use a Montessori inspired method. I set up shelves with various activities for her to work on. You can check out my blog for some of the things I put on the shelves. Www.seekingsquirrels.com. Sorry I'm mobile and can't link. I also now use work boxes for some stuff. Kumon is our favorite for workbooks.

I don't schedule us at all. I use a lot of real curriculum and set stuff, but all child-led. We "do school" when she asks to. Once in our school area she decides what we do, too. We do as much or as little as she wants. I do have some idea ahead of time of what I will do if she asks for math or science or whatever, I just don't insist we do those things. This works well for us because DD loves school time and learning. With the work boxes we're using now I think we'll hit the core subjects more. She likes doing them, butt out of sight out of mind. With them out in the bins for her to see she's been picking them more.
My blog hasn't been updated since before we stopped for summer but I'm going to be starting it up again this week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bttrflyvld
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I've decided to use Five in a Row volume 1 with my daughter who is 4 turning 5.  I've looked over the manual and every book has several activities that are easy enough for preschool.  You just pick and choose which lessons you want from each subject.  We are also doing Saxon K this year as well.  It's all hands on and will be fun for her.  Note:  Five in a row can be done in as little ast 30 minutes a day or as long as you want to make it.  There are so many blogs out there too that have some really great ideas for FIAR.  Here is a blog roll for FIAR http://delightfullearning.blogspot.com/p/2011-2012-fiar-blog-roll.html.  I just have to tell myself to keep it simple.  I could easily get carried away.  8-)

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM
I love love love Little Acorn Learning and Oak Meadow Preschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen1217
by Testing the waters on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Thanks so much for sharing...you are doing exactly what I did in my classroom for years! I don't know why I thought it had to be different at home.  The challenge for me is that I am watching my nephew and we are at my brother's house each day.  Any suggestion on how to set up the "work" in a travel type situation.  Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)