Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

first time homeschooling, 7th grader, need big help, where do i start?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:19 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 718 Total Views

im trying for the first time to home school one of my children, 7th grade no less. well im already feeling lost. and not getting the help i need.

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

i am also homeschooling a 7th grader, we are in Colorado. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I'm homeschooling a 7th grader. This is our 5th year.

For math, we are doing Teaching Textbooks.

Language arts are Easy Grammar, Spectrum reading Comprehension and All About Spelling

Science and history are both Steck~Vaughn workbooks supplemented with documentaries and Science in a nutshell kits.

He also does ASL and Art.

For PE, DS is in Gymnastics 2x a week and a hiking club.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macoymom
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM
7th grader here... My second time...
We love Abeka books
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I'm homeschooling a 10th grader for the first time, so I understand how overwhelming it is!

One thing that helped me was to figure out what she'd be taking this year if she was in PS. For a 7th grader, that would be which science (life, physical or earth), which math (general, pre-algebra or higher), which history (US, Ancient, World, etc), and if there was anything specific to cover in Language Arts.

Once I had those questions answered, it was mostly a process of discovering what curriculum or resources I could use to cover those topics.

There are all-in-one curricula out there that will cover 7th grade, like Abeka or LifePacs or others. They'll provide everything you need for every class. Or you can pick and choose resources by subject, based on how your child learns best. Maybe Singapore Math or Teaching Textbooks are a better fit than Saxon. Maybe Apologia for Science, or a more experiment-based plan instead of a textbook-based one.

There are a lot of choices out there and it's hard to wade through them all. You might want to head down to your local library and see what they have for homeschool information. If they don't have a particular book you want on the shelf, make sure you request it (free service to library patrons).

Also, be sure to look up the homeschool laws for your state and maybe look around for a local homeschool group. If they have a website, they may have some useful information already listed for you to use.

Good luck!

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

http://www.damand.com/

password:BOB

http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/arts/writcent/hypergrammar/

this what help me with my 8th grader and my 5th grader some of it help me with my preschooler as well.

KaiCosmom
by Helping Hands on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM
This is my 8th year homeschooling. I also have a 7th grader. Over the years we have tried many different things but I have always come back to the Abeka curriculum. We love it. It can be reasonably purchased from ebay. We use teaching textbooks for pre-algebra and wordly wise 3000 for spelling/vocabulary. Good luck and if you have any specfic questions feel free to contact me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN