Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making the Best of the Best!!

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 410 Total Views

Hello!! my name is Sorel, I started our homeschooling today, its been a good day it feels really strange staying home with my children when everyone else drop their children to their school. I'm not complaining just a little concerned for my daughter Janell she's 5 yrs old and is her fist day and for me as well!! I also have a 3 yrs old boy it seen he like it too. so my concern is the fact that all her friends are assisting public school and she's the only one staying home I don't know if at this age she realize that fact. I'm assure I'm doing the right thing.

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

my  daughter is homeschooled and all her friends went back to school last week.  She is older, 12, but i asked her this question and she looked down at herself and looked at me and said "momma, i'm in my jamma's, eating cereal and watching cartoons while they walk in the rain or deal with the idiots on the bus.  I am going to take a shower and do my chores while they get pushed around crowded halls and sit in stinky classrooms of misbehaving kids.  I am gonna sit down and do my work with my mom, they have to listen to teachers who don't care about them and only teach what they are told to teach....let them go to school"...

Now, mind you she went to public school from k thru 5th before i pulled her out and homeschooled her...

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Aug. 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I have asked my 6 year old who attended public school for awhile last year and she doesnt want to go back.  She says she learns more at home and enjoys being with me and doing school.  She does have to share me with a kindergartener, 3 year old and 2 year old, but that is still less than the 32 students she had to share her teacher with on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and 62 students she shared her with on Wednesday so she says she will take it.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Aug. 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM

It's easier if they have been throughthe nightmare of public school..LOL  My boys never want to go back (they were 1st and 3rd when I pulled them). DD wanted to go back until she stayed with ont of my PS friends whie I had jury duty last year. She coldn't fathom being in school over 6 hours and then coming home anddoing homework on top of that..LOL

Then, add in all the brainwashing cartoons/tvshows about shools make kids think that is what they "ahould" do and it can be hard to go againstthe "norm."

What I do is join a homeschool group or co-op so the kids see they aren't he only one.There is a HUGE homeschool community in our area so they see their friends more than they would if they were in PS. They hate that their ps friends are never available during the week.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Welcome to HS! My boys are still friendly with the same kids,even though they go to PS. It has never caused any friction. And they have made close friendships with those who HS. I honestly thought we were the only ones in the area when we first started, but then I found our co-op and other groups and realized there were tons in my area. So, I'm sure you'll find some others in your area and she will still have friends. Don't worry.

We are actually going camping tomorrow with a bunch of HS'ers. (wish me luck! Lol. I'm not the outdoorsy type!)
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Quoting Anryan:

my  daughter is homeschooled and all her friends went back to school last week.  She is older, 12, but i asked her this question and she looked down at herself and looked at me and said "momma, i'm in my jamma's, eating cereal and watching cartoons while they walk in the rain or deal with the idiots on the bus.  I am going to take a shower and do my chores while they get pushed around crowded halls and sit in stinky classrooms of misbehaving kids.  I am gonna sit down and do my work with my mom, they have to listen to teachers who don't care about them and only teach what they are told to teach....let them go to school"...

Now, mind you she went to public school from k thru 5th before i pulled her out and homeschooled her...

What a fantastic response!

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Quoting debramommyof4:

I have asked my 6 year old who attended public school for awhile last year and she doesnt want to go back.  She says she learns more at home and enjoys being with me and doing school.  She does have to share me with a kindergartener, 3 year old and 2 year old, but that is still less than the 32 students she had to share her teacher with on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and 62 students she shared her with on Wednesday so she says she will take it.

OMG, 32!!!! I am flabbergasted!
debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

So was I.  I dont know how any of the kids learned anything.  I dont.  DD6 went to school reading, writing, adding and subtracting in her head and they expected her to sit there and relearn her alphabet.  When she wasnt happy with that and started acting out I sugested she might like to help since she is a good leader.  Everyday from what she told me she help the other students learn.  I was amazed.  They did decide to let her go to first grade reading, but refused to up her in math, where she really needed to be moved up.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting debramommyof4:

OMG, 32!!!! I am flabbergasted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)