Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your favorite spelling program? (early grades)

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 452 Total Views
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I'm not into the weekly spelling test at all but I found Spelling Power which is for all grades used at the library book store. It was great for reviewing works, tips, games and spelling rules for the rest of our homeschooling. I'd typically give them a test about six weeks into each homeschooling year. If they tested at on or above their level I left them alone on spelling unless they wanted to play the games or had trouble with a specific word.

mama3ks97
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

We don't do much concentrated spelling. I'm more likely to just do spelling as they are writing things. BUT, www.spellingcity.com is a great site. You can put in your own word list and it gives you games and such to play and practice. Then you can do the spelling test on site when you are ready too.

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Learning to Spell Through Copywork by Queen Homeschool Supplies! Simple and effective :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM

We use Hooked On Phonics: Hooked on Spelling. I like it a lot. He seems to have picked up a lot of words from it. 

JayDee38
by Testing the waters on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM

My favorite (and LUCKILY my son's favorite) is Zaner-Bloser's Spelling Connections spelling program.  We love it so much and I'm so glad that we found a great fit so soon into our homeschooling journey! The student workbook's 5-day plan is organized so simply, yet effectively. I really like that each day of the week has a differently formatted activity.

jsbuck
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

We use All About Spelling and Sequential Spelling.

starbeck96
by Becky on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I don't use a curriculum for my daughter (K).  I printed sight words off the internet and we are using them as our spelling words.  We are doing 5 per week.  This will help her learn her sight words as well as allowing me to see if she is going to be good at spelling like the rest of our family.  I always made 100s on my spelling tests and when the boys were in PS they did too.  They hardly ever made below a 100..

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I really like a new program we found www.readingkey.com I use it in combination with www.spellingcity.com.

KiriandWyatt
by Kiri on Sep. 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I am really loving All About Spelling right now. My son is not stressed, and is learning how to spell! 

nkpmsjb
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

We've been doing www.K12reader.com.  My son is only 4, and we the do a list every week.  I like it because they come with corresponding reading comprehension worksheets.  I also make sure he spells everything correctly the first time when he is writing, which helps a lot too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)