Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so lost....need help please

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 728 Total Views

My daughter has decided she wants to be homeschooled.  After some deep consideration my wife and I decided that it would be the best for her.  I started reserching and looking and there is so much information and my brain is on overload.  I dont even know where to start now.  She does not want to do school online she wants to do it the traditional way.  She also wants to be able to be self paced so she can start working on skipping a grade so she can get caught up with her peers (she was held back in 1st grade).  We live in hawaii and the school she attends is not being very helpful.  Can anyone help me I'm so frustrated alrady.  Thank you

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tennisgal
by Helping Hands on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

how old is she?? is she having trouble in any area?? what caused this change? what is your timeline, immediately? next year?

anyway, start with your state's laws. HSLDA should have the laws. 

2moms1family
by Testing the waters on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

She is 13 and in the 7th grade.  She has some trouble in math because she's never been properly explained how to do things.  We are looking at immediately.  She has been bullyied and had some problems that we had to deal with and so she does not want to be in public school anymore plus she feels she will get more help and one on one learning instead of not getting help at all from teachers.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM

After you look at your state laws then you need to decide what you want out of the year and that depends on where she is at.  If she is grade level then start there.  I like to get packaged curriculum because then I know I am not forgeting things. 

My older girls for now are going through k12 which is a public school but it works for them for now and I can adjust as needed since they are home.  My other kids are preschoolers/toddlers so we are getting a month of curriculum that they can play with.  I want them especially my 3 year old to start having a slightly more structured school day, but not to the point that he gets but not so much that he doesnt find it fun.  My older two I am mostly trying to find where they are so I know what to do for next year.  I havent found thier correct work area yet.

I think you will find great advice here.  That is what I have found.  I dont have a 7th grader but I know you can do it and as long as your dd is learning there isnt a wrong way to homeschool.

2moms1family
by Testing the waters on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Thank you for your help.  It's just so frustrating when there is so much information out there and most of it seems to be online schooling and she absolutely does not want that at all.  How does the k12 program work?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

K12 is school online - something you said DD doesn't wnat to do. It is a state funded public scchool that allows you to school at home. With that method, if she was held back, you will have to have her tested to see if they would place her in 8th grade or they would just automatically put her where she was when you pulled her out. 

Thy do some placement testing but you still don't get that much leeway.

I choose mot of my curriculum through Rainbow Resource.  They have good prices and the discriptions re usualyl accurate. You can call and thy will send you a calatlog - it's like 1200 pages (mega-phone book style - LOL) but really easy to follow.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

K12 depends on the state as to how well it works.  In 7th grade there is less of the parents hands on teaching to almost none. There are lots of other options such as Sonlight, Abbeka(sp) and many other curriculums those are just the most popular.

somuchlove4U
by Groovy Chick on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:39 AM
hslda.org is a good place to start. When I first started I bought books from Amazon. Singapore is good. I know they have math and science.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DangerousMommy
by Melissa on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Check your laws and file your paperwork if needed, pull her now. Worry about curriculum 2nd. Just get her out and let her relax. You can find all sorts of stuff online to play with while you wait for curriculum to arrive.

I would suggest Math Mammoth as a good way to review all the basic operations. You can buy the digital version ,which allows you to print the pages you want,  in a number of different configurations. We have the blue series, which is by topic as opposed to grade level... easy to work on what she would need. It is more of a mastery based program, and I find it has good instruction / explanation of concepts but is not too repetative.

mathmammoth.com (Sorry I can't link it today)

KimmyPoo
by Helping Hands on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I know who u feel. I was the same way last2 weeks. But these ladies in this group are amazing. They will help u and if they can't find the answer right away they will look it up themself. Amaxing group. But 1st start with laws in your state. Then go from there. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM

You know, you might want to look into the term "deschooling" before you dive in with curriculum. While your DD is taking a couple of weeks to destress and relearn how to just *be* for a while, you'll have time to do some research and get started on the basics.

She's in 7th grade now, so do y'all want her home just this year, or until 9th grade? If you can take 7th and 8th grade to hs, then you won't feel so rushed to cram it all in this year. I know whereof I speak, because my 10th grade DD wants to only stay home this year and go back next year. We don't have much catching up to do, but I hate feeling rushed.

Breathe, mamas! You can do it. Get out and about for the next few days. Enjoy Hawaii! Let her run errands with you, or read, or nap, or get involved in a craft project. Try not to let her be on the TV or computer or video games all day, but just...enjoy.

As far as places to look for curriculum, go to the Saxon math website and take their online placement tests to see where to start. Not that you have to stick with Saxon, but it's nice to know where you are, so you can find out where to go.

Hit your local library and see what homeschooling resources they have available. Use their request and interlibrary loan features to get hold of books they don't have. Sometimes you have to pay a nominal fee for these services, but it's still cheaper than buying the books.

See if there are any local hs groups. Some are Christian, some are secular, some don't care. Go online and see if there's a Yahoo group or check meetup.

You can do this. We believe in you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)