Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has decided she wants to be homeschooled.  After some deep consideration my wife and I decided that it would be the best for her.  I started reserching and looking and there is so much information and my brain is on overload.  I dont even know where to start now.  She does not want to do school online she wants to do it the traditional way.  She also wants to be able to be self paced so she can start working on skipping a grade so she can get caught up with her peers (she was held back in 1st grade).  We live in hawaii and the school she attends is not being very helpful.  Can anyone help me I'm so frustrated alrady.  Thank you

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Replies (11-16):
ncstress
by Helping Hands on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM

You can find a great free curriculum at www.oldfashionededucation.com. Many of the books used are classical literature and can be downloaded to readers. The program is not online but you would need to guide her education and provide study guides, discussions, etc which can be found online usually free.  It links to a great free math program and she could start with year 7-MEPs math which she could again do on her own or you could follow the step by step lesson plan and take her through it since you said she is a bit behind in math.  I wouldn't start lower than year 7 though because it would be more complicated given how the lower years are taught. Another program you might look to is www.amblesideonline.com also free. We use a great science program we pay for called www.superchargedscience.com. But as others have suggested you will need to check your state requirements for what is required to be sure that what you use meets the requirements. Hope this helped!

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM

The first thing is, as the other ladies have said, to check your state laws at hslda.com.

After you do that, decide whether you want to homeschool using secular (non-religious) materials, or faith based materials (Christian - protestant or Catholic, for example).

You know your child best - is she a kinesthetic (hands on) learner? Visual learner? Auditory learner? Does she have any learning disabilities that will impact your teaching style and the types of materials you use?

Then you come here and ask what our favorite materials are with those decisions in mind! I have a middle schooler as well and I'm a curriculum addict, so I can speak for what I've researched and/or used, lol. I will say that your best bet is probably, right now, to choose curricula that has placement tests available - remember that homeschool curriculum rarely emulates the grade levels of a state specific public school, so you CANNOT rely on the level she was working at in public school.

Last - you need to decide if you want a boxed curriculum (and there are a few that allow you to deviate from grade level for core skill subjects (language arts and math), while still using their lesson plans.

ETA: consider your budget as well - how much are you able to spend? Do you have a great library nearby or will you need to buy most literature books in addition to a curriculum purchase?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

2moms1family
by Testing the waters on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks everyone for your help and support. I'm finding some good things out and getting less stressed. Went to the library today and found some good books to help get more info and get my curriculum started. I've decided to let her choose what she wants to learn about in different areas of science. Actually getting more excited now.
smorgan7204
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Another free program that could help you place her in math is KhanAcademy.com   This website has teaching videos and math problems that you do right on the computer, from the basics, all the way up to calculus. You could start where you think she would be comfortable with and let her go until you see she is having trouble or is unfamiliar with a concept (the program progresses through the concepts as it sees you are getting so many correct in a certain amount of time). We still use it for review and at the end of the year after she has completed the curriculum for that year.  For purchasing math curriculum, I recommend Math-u-See or Teaching Textbooks.  They have placement tests on their websites as well.  But, as someone else said, you could use Khan Acacemy until your curriculum came in.  He has lectures for other subjects on there as well, but math is the only one that is interactive, as far as I know.

FloridaHSMom
by Testing the waters on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with above! I just started HSing this year, and was overwhelmed with curriculum for the longest time, so I finally chose a boxed curriculum (one where they just give you all the subjects and the lesson plans) for this first year to get my feet wet. I'm liking the curriculum but am considering some changes in the future, but give yourself time. You don't have to have the perfect curriculum day one! It often grows with you and the needs of your child. First, decide the subjects she has the most problems with, like math. My daughter has issues with math too, so I opted for Saxon math this year. She always forgot a lesson or concept once they moved on, and then when they returned to it, she couldn't remember it. Saxon repeats lessons within each day, so that by the time your student takes the tests, they have had days of practice embedded in each lesson, so they are more likely to succeed. I've already found a bunch of "holes' like not being able to read a clock properly, etc. It just works for her. As for the other subjects, stick with the three "Rs" initially, Reading, Writing, and Rithmetic.;). Once you decide on the English, Reading, and Math curriculums, ask your daughter what she's interested in science, like if she likes the ocean, find a science book that covers that the first year, etc. Remember that you do NOT HAVE TO DO WHAT THEY WOULD BE DOING IN THEIR OLD SCHOOL. Comparing is useless, and they often will be choosing a test-based curriculum that doesn't always make sense. Be open to new possibilities. Homeschooling is fun! You really get to know you kid, and you can make every day a learning adventure! Don't worry so much, whatever you homeschool will be far more than they would get in school. Join a homeschool group, and start going and ask questions! Most moms have lots to share! Take care, take a breath, and go for it!

lifesadream83
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Check out HSLDA's website for Homeschool laws.  

Teaching Textbooks are a great curriculum for math from 3rd grade all the way through High School.  

If you are okay with Christian curriculum I would recommend Apologia Science.  If not I recommend looking into CPO Science or Science Fusion for her age... 

Here is a link to some curriculum you may want to look into...

Since she wants to work at her own pace to catch up I would stick to standard textbook curriculum.  The above link and also Pearson Education would be great for either of those.  

K12 Has an Independent Study option but it gets pricey and I am not sure if they have Highschool classes in the independent realm.  There curriculum can also be quite daunting.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)