Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you or are you teaching multiplication?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 1502 Total Views

I have been searching the web all day trying to find ways to teach the times table. Ds knows how to use the counters to multiply problems for worksheets, but I am trying to get him to memorize the times table so he doesn't need the counters so much. I have been doing the flash cards thing for awhile and he still hasn't memorized the 2's. Also he is not a big fan of silly songs or songs period for that matter so a multiplication cd won't help. I went to Mardels and saw they had a dvd, but don't know if it's any good. 

So anyways I was wondering what you have done that worked great for your kid/s or what are you doing right now that your kid/s are enjoying and seem to be picking up the times table with?

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ncstress
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

My oldest learned by memorization, my 8 yo learned by skip counting, and my youngest has taught himself using songs and multiplication games I have on my tablet. My best suggestion is music and skip counting will get you there fastest if your child understands the meaning and purpose of multiplication and then simple division will come naturally with the mulitiplication skip counting. Good luck!

Knightquester
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM

When they were just learning I liked to have them use money to learn multiplication.  If it was by two then two pennies in each pile, this way they could feel and see what they were doing and were able to count each pile if they lost track.  Also when we were out we'd walk and say our multiplication as we went about whatever we were doing.  There are games you can also play, hopscotch is a good one to teach odds and evens, if your pebble landed on evens you hopped on only evens, and same for odds; it's a good idea they know what evens and odd numbers are since it makes multiplying a little easier.

Once they understood what multiplication was and how to multiply then I explained the brackets and where the ones, tens and so on went.  I also would push more practice worksheets and flashcards until they knew their tables by heart.

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Sep. 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

My son do to a little but I found out what he is great at and put in to that format like he loves Dragon Ball GT so I found out what they are talking about and I put it his work form and then counting money be can fractions and multiplying for home to understand

Hello how are you I have been find out what they favorite things to do. Make his own chart seeing writing it saying it is just like adding know his doubles. Does review see what he know taking in.

ZazaJane
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Hello! You are right that a child must not only understand but memorize the basic multiplication tables. This sets the foundation for higher level math.  Quick fact recall is a must to work though problems in a timely manner. My son struggled, and the only thing that worked was “Times to Remember , The Fun and Easy Way to Memorize the Multiplication Tables”  It is amazing, It works quickly and is very fun,   it uses rhymes and pictures. IT includes a music CD that can be used alone (without the book) and is very effective. But with the home/classroom book it is even better.  You can find it at most on-line book stores.  

Good luck and hope this helps you.

ProfessorMommy
by Testing the waters on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM

We used manipulatives for the basic comprehension and understanding of multiplication.  Now that my son is working on memorizing his basic times tables I had him create his own multiplication chart and he goes through the various "keys" with this nifty gadget--referring to his chart if he gets stuck.  He enjoys the "challenge" and self-correcting aspect of these:  http://www.amazon.com/Multiplication-Wrap-Up-Keys-no-LWUK103/dp/B0007P95JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348024205&sr=8-1&keywords=multiplication+keys

ZazaJane
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

As a homeschool mom, I came up with picture rhymes set to music to help my son memorize the basic multiplication tables. I have published them and I am giving them away for free at this site:

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Learn-the-Times-Tables-with-Times-to-Remember-Multiplication-Picture-Rhymes.

Please let me know if this helps. I am looking for feedback.  Thanks and good luck!

Sandy

JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

We used graph paper.  6 x 4 makes a rectangle 6 wide and 4 tall.  Then they can count all of the little squares if they don't have the answer memorized.  After a while, the kids just know it because they get tired of counting the number of little squares.

Simply_Janeen
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Here's a video that might help:

sunflowerfreak
by Testing the waters on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I'm currently using Math-U-See program for division.  He was in multiplication last year and this year is all division.  They have worksheets that you can design and print out (I think) the multiplication factor sheet.  My son LOVES that program and is doing very well.  Go to mathusee.com and see if there is anything on there you can use and see if it's useful. 

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Blocks, books, anything that they can see hands on things

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN