Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you or are you teaching multiplication?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been searching the web all day trying to find ways to teach the times table. Ds knows how to use the counters to multiply problems for worksheets, but I am trying to get him to memorize the times table so he doesn't need the counters so much. I have been doing the flash cards thing for awhile and he still hasn't memorized the 2's. Also he is not a big fan of silly songs or songs period for that matter so a multiplication cd won't help. I went to Mardels and saw they had a dvd, but don't know if it's any good. 

So anyways I was wondering what you have done that worked great for your kid/s or what are you doing right now that your kid/s are enjoying and seem to be picking up the times table with?

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Quoting ncstress:

My oldest learned by memorization, my 8 yo learned by skip counting, and my youngest has taught himself using songs and multiplication games I have on my tablet. My best suggestion is music and skip counting will get you there fastest if your child understands the meaning and purpose of multiplication and then simple division will come naturally with the mulitiplication skip counting. Good luck!

I used blocks I had to have objects to help them.Find rhyming songs too help them

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

schoolhouserock multiplication

NYCitymomx3
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Times Tales was awesome for ds at 8y/o.  It focuses on the "hard" times tables:  3,4,6,7,8,& 9.

After that it was just tons of multiplication and division drills.  Ds's whole math lesson for the day would be 30-50 single digit problems (we used different things like a chalkboard, dry-erase board, crayons, etc).  We'd also play "speed flash cards" too.  Making a game out of it was helpful.  We spent a few months on this, then we'd revisit the drills for a day or 2 every now and then. 

He's 11 now and his math skills are great.  I believe kids MUST master the basics before even thinking about moving on to higher math.  

No_Difference
by Nikki on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM

We've been memorizing skip counting...if you want to try songs with a video (which has helped my daughter) on youtube by havefunteaching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBas_4F-YzY&list=PLEzaeEbY9Lb0G7MSPPPe8JpBbrbsSdtRs&index=2   the link is for skip counting by 2...as they actually do the counting part, they show the numbers.

Otherwise, we really are just memorizing. I think at one point I had gotten from Scholastic a hands on activity book with multiplication. It was a little more fun for her to work on since she got to read the problem, open the flaps and check the answer herself...but getting her to sit down and do it was just as much of a problem as doing flash cards...

leighp1
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Here is something for 3's.  I thought I saw one for 2's as well, but I can't find it any more.

Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

times tables and rhyming/funny songs

Like: He ate and he ate til i was sick on the floor: 8 x 8 is 64

artimom71
by Testing the waters on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

We've been watching Multiplication Rock on You tube :)

frstldyhmsch
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I never focused on the memorization because, I feel it's best to know how to figure problems out. I know some people force memorization for the sake of a better flow when it comes to the next level of math. But in my 7 years of homeschooling I have found that repetitive problems will automatically trigger a memorization effect. This theory has worked for my kids so far and they can spit out multiplication facts like no body's business. 

coffeelover2
by Testing the waters on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM

play yahtzee with him.

autodidact
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:22 AM

http://www.bigbrainz.com/

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:46 AM

To introduce a math concept, I usually refer to Montessori. I love their methods.

I made my own Montessori Multiplication board for the kids (ghost line posterboard that I drew squares on, then we used bingo like chips to put on each square).

Here is a video of the Montessori Multiplication board:

I also use interactive math journals. Here is an example of what one is:

We use games and books and websites.

I really like the Living Math website.

I made a multiplication pocket chart out of poster board. I cut pockets out of paper protecters and taped them on. I used my laminator which can make stickers to put numbers on the pockets. 

At first we did skip counting with the answers on the back of the cards that I made (out of blank index cards). Then we did the actual practice of the multiplication side. 

We just worked through one number at a time until each pocket was mastered. I put a big silver star on the pocket when it was mastered. 

We mastered concept and then memorization. I felt both were equally important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)