Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm struggling with history. Can you reccomend anything?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 605 Total Views

Unfortunately I can't afford much right now so I am looking for free or really cheap curriculum. I have been getting most of my lessons from the internet and there are thousands out there for reading, math and science. But I'm having trouble finding much for history/social studies... Can anyone reccomend a good site or a good book to buy?

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM

How old is your child and what particularly are you wanting to study?

iHay
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Oh shoot sorry, don't know how I managed to skip that. He's 5 and we just need to meet the state requirements. Anything works for me.

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM

You know what? Check out the Core Knowledge sequence, then see if you can find lessons online that cover those topics. Columbus Day is coming up, then Thanksgiving, so some lessons on Native Americans, exploration and early colonial history might be a good topic to cover for the fall.

blessings2all
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

This article has some sites for history and geography.  

The Best Free Homeschool Resources Online

Hope it helps.

Many blessings,
Susan
HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you and fun for your kids

LearningOnlineBlog.com Online Learning Tips and Resources for Families That Home School Online

No_Difference
by Nikki on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

you can check out some of the free stuff on Brain Pop for social studies...

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I like and enjoy the history/social studies from www.amblesideonline.com some of the stories can be heard on free on www.librivox.org and some read online but others need the actual book which can be hard to find.  The history is mostly in the form of living books which my 3 boys love and then I came up with little fun projects to go along with them. Another site I really like is www.oldfashionededucation.com also free and links to the books online for you to read with your kids or have your child read with you. I find it to be in less chronological order than ambleside but then you could keep a timeline as you go along. 

TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

We use The Story of the World, its in a story form and my son loves that! 

Margaret31765
by Testing the waters on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I love k12 curriculum. You can do it homeschooling and pick and choose what you want. I do not know your budget but AOP has great things to offer. They have SOS, Monarch, or for more savings you can do Life pacs or Horizions.

JasonsMom2007
by Helping Hands on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM
We love story of the world too! My son is 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)