Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

home school

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 572 Total Views

it really bothers me cause I have friends that are against me teaching my granddaughter--they argue she can't have any friends HER age here (yet she does) AND they want me to have a certificate  HELP!!!

cheybug547

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Ignore them and tell them to STFU...

Then go find a homeschool group to join for some supportive friends...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. No one thought I should homeschool either. Not even my husband. Now both kids are in college on scholarships. So forget those that are offering you unsolicited advice.

christel22406
by Testing the waters on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I think every parent that tells ANYONE that they are going to or are homeschooling their children or in your case grandchildren gets negative reviews. I get them all the time and I have learned to ignore them. There are so many benefits over public school, private school or charter school. And the only negative comment I ever get is that my children will be socially challenged. Which is absolutely untrue. My child plays soccer and plays with kids in the neighborhood and cousins. Just keep your head up and ignore the negative thoughts. You are doing a great job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Dh and his family didnt want homeschooling at first, till I showed him all the wonderful things Abuot it:) now he preaches homeschool to all lol. His parents took awhile, till they saw that our kids who are almost five and almost seven are basically smarter than thier supposed smart other grandkids, which include four girls who all went to college and have great jobs, but only with tons of help from thier mom who oddly enough worked at the school they went to lol, a grandson who knocked a girl up in highschool only to leave her and never graduate, has another kid by another woman and is living with another woman. then there is anothwr one who does half a** in school and skates by on the no chold left behind, reads at a fifth grade level and is sixteen years old. Then two children who hey claim as their grandchildren and oh how wonderful amd bright they are.... oldest is fifteen, ds age six can read better than him and only reads on a second grade level, the brother who supposedly is a math whiz couldnt answer a math question my four year old answered while coloring a color by letter sheet..... they quickly came to my side lol.
Just stick to your guns, do the great job you know you can do, never let her or you doubt your abilities and you will reap the rewards of thier tails tucked between thier legs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Try to surround yourself with supportive people and avoid those who are not!
KiriandWyatt
by Kiri on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Can't live your life trying to please everyone! It will NEVER happen! The only thing you can do is what you feel is best for your child/grandchild. So like the other have said ignore them in fact I would tell them if they can't support you even by keeping their opinions to themselves then maybe they need to just stop coming by or calling you.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Never bothered me what others thought. I knew what we best for my children and did it.  Try and ignore them or find new friends.  If they were true friends they would encourage you.

cheybug547
by Testing the waters on Sep. 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

but didn't he have to approve them being home schooled--my "former"  son in law gave us a real hard time about it--our family was too stupid to teach--she divorced him!!  now I'm teaching my granddaughter- he's still against itand spreading the word

cheybug547

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM

In our state both parents have to sign and agree to homeschooling, but not all states have the same laws in that area.

So long as what you are doing is legal, don't worry about the nay sayers. For the record, I disagree with one parent having the ability to homeschool against the other parent's wishes - ASSUMING both parents are good, involved, loving parents.

Quoting cheybug547:

but didn't he have to approve them being home schooled--my "former"  son in law gave us a real hard time about it--our family was too stupid to teach--she divorced him!!  now I'm teaching my granddaughter- he's still against itand spreading the word

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)