Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unit studies

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 404 Total Views

Where would I look into learning more unit studies? This sounds like it would be a great option to consider for my kids, especially my son. I like the idea of all of the lessons tying together.

When we homeschool our kids they will be in 4th grade, Pre-K, and Preschool.

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
carolinamommy3
by Testing the waters on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM

We are brand new to homeschooling but we are doing the Galloping the Globe unit study for my kids. It can be used for many subjects but we are using it as our geography. We absolutely love it. I have a 7 year old and 5 year old twins. We are so excited to do the Christmas Around The World unit for December. Right now I am just teaching themthe basics of  how to read a map and all about the world map. This is my first unit study and I must say it does require a lot of planning. We have several great libraries close to us so it was very easy for me to gather everything. Good luck! I am curious to see what other unit studies are suggested! :)

simplysarahd
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I'm torn between using My Father's World (which is like a unit study that uses charlotte mason and classical education styles) and SOS. We're considering SOS because we are in a small home and really do not have the space for the SOS supplies and all the extras which go with it.

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

A word of caution in using SOS.  My friend uses this program for very practical reasons.  She homeschooled with a very hands on approach before creating her own curriculum and such.  Then she had a very high risk pregnancy so she started SOS for that year.  It worked really well for them because she had the baby early and was in the hospital for a month while her mother took care of her daughter, etc.  However, this year her daughter learned to click her way through the curriculum so they have spent time redoing units when her test grades come back poorly.  

I have seen these at our local curriculum consignement shop and they look to be very good to me.  (the ones with the stripes on them) Thematic Units

Five in a Row and Konos  are other programs I have heard others speak of.  

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM

We've enjoyed several of the unit studies on http://www.homeschoolshare.com/ they are all free to download. It worked well to do time4learning.com for math and grammar and some other things now and then, and supplement with unit studies based on literature or a science topic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)