Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any High School Unschoolers out There?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 1117 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I'm curious to know if any of you are unschooling your high schoolers?  DS14 has a multitude of issues, not the least of which is a mood disorder.  When he plays a major part in decision-making, he's more cooperative.  Lately, I've been wondering if I let him "drive" his course of learning, would he incur less stress and regain his love of learning.

In regard to unschooling, are you required to satisfy your state's core standards (I know that each state is different)?  If so, do you allow your HS'er to pick and choose their explorations as long as they're within the range of what's expected at certain grade levels?

I'm not sure I'm even asking the right questions, so please forgive me.  This idea, as it applies to my DS, just struck me this morning as a possibility.

All advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unschoolmom1
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I can't help you. We are new to unschooling this year. I'm only unschooling my 14 year old daughter. My daughter loves to draw, cook, and take pictures. She's into Pokemon, caring for animals. She was a slow learner in school so instead of school we are unschooling her.

1Redapple
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Monday will be my dd11's first day of "unschooling."

diospira
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

My dd is 14 and we do mostly unschooling.

She has really enjoyed this book and found it helpful in charting her course.

The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education

The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·   rating details  ·  599 ratings  ·  98 reviews
An estimated 700,000 American children are now taught at home. This book tells teens how to take control of their lives and get a "real life." Young people can reclaim their natural ability to teach themselves and design a personalized education program. Grace Llewellyn explains the entire process, from making the decision to quit school, to discovering the learning opportunities available
Mommyfish831
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Would this be any help to me considering my kids are 6, 4 and 2?  Unschooling seems fairly easy with toddlers and preschoolers (really all preschool is learning through play while at the same time learning how to behave in school) I know they will one day be teenagers but I don't want to overload and get overwhelmed (well more than I already am, lol)

Quoting diospira:

An estimated 700,000 American children are now taught at home. This book tells teens how to take control of their lives and get a "real life." Young people can reclaim their natural ability to teach themselves and design a personalized education program. Grace Llewellyn explains the entire process, from making the decision to quit school, to discovering the learning opportunities available

Ichthus
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have highschoolers. Always curious to learn more about unschooling, though. Just wanted to tell you that your name made me LOL!  :)

WantedNameTaken
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I checked this out from the local library after another poster suggested it.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to read it before it had to be returned.  So many people had it on hold (just one very old grimy copy for a large metro library system), I couldn't renew it.

I'll try to find it at Half Price or just order it from Amazon, so that I can take my time.  Thanks for the reminder! :)

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Would this be any help to me considering my kids are 6, 4 and 2?  Unschooling seems fairly easy with toddlers and preschoolers (really all preschool is learning through play while at the same time learning how to behave in school) I know they will one day be teenagers but I don't want to overload and get overwhelmed (well more than I already am, lol)

Quoting diospira:

WantedNameTaken
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I kept trying various names, but all were taken, so this bright idea popped into my head.  LOL!

Quoting Ichthus:

I don't have highschoolers. Always curious to learn more about unschooling, though. Just wanted to tell you that your name made me LOL!  :)

diospira
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Quoting diospira:

This book might be helpful and interesting for you, but maybe not for your kids until they are older. I don´t think you would find it overwhelming, more like hopeful.

My dd has just loved it but it is really a book geared to teenagers since they are at a point where they are ready to branch out and consider the possibilities of what they can do in life.

Peace

Jortess
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS is unschooled, it meets the requirements for my state. You have to check your state law. We purposely moved here because of this. My DD is ADD, LD, dyslexic and more. She had a hard time in public school and a hard time with a "homeschool based curriculum." This has really really helped her. I say go for it.

I want my children to love learning, and by letting them lead the way (sometimes) it is more likely that they will inquire leadership skills in life. However with leadership comes responsabilitie, hence the reason we don't always allow them to chose..

KYSunflower
by Testing the waters on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM
hey everyone ! Just joined. Have three kids I'll be home schooling this Fall . I'm interested in unschooling mixed with some curriculum . Wondered if anyone does this in TN....just not sure *how* to go about unschooling according to their laws ? Any help would be appreciated ! btw- I love the clever name too WantedName Taken ! funny !
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN