Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

unschooling in a very regulated state

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 658 Total Views

Do any of you hail from PA? We have to prove our kids are learning to the state and create a protfolio of things they have done throughout the year. My son fights tooth and nail when it comes to writing, reading, workbook pages etc... (except for math, for some reason thats ok to do on a worksheet)  How do I "document"
what we are learning?  

Please check out my Blog..  Celebrate your Freedom, SPEAK OUT! http://thethoughtsoft.blogspot.com/

Or Check out my articles with the Examiner!!

http://www.examiner.com/x-26179-Erie-County-Libertarian-Examiner

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Take pics of different activities and put captons on them.

Does he do any co~op. Activities or music lessons, sports where he has a teacher or coach? Have them write up what they are doing.

I believe, howver unschooled someone is they must practice writing from time to time, either by hand or typing. I can't think of one job in life that doesntl require writing in some form so when he does his research on whatever he is learning, have him write or type.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SparklingHope
by Testing the waters on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

When my son and I are doing school, I'll take pictures of our different activities or things we're doing that day. 

Mom2Kaylie
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM

The brochure from a place you went can be used in the portfolio.  I saved a brochure from Farm History Day at the Fairgrounds.  A list of books you checked out from the library.  Photocopy the page in the book that explains a science experiment he did.  The program from a play or concert you attended.  You can put a post it note with an explanation on how it meets the requirement or how he did at it or what he learned there or a comment he made about it.  Take a picture of a project he is working on and add captions to explain what he's learning.  Write the title of a documentary that he watched on a piece of paper and maybe even a couple of his comments when watching and list some things he learned from it.  Carefully read over what they are specifically looking for in the portfolio and then just meet those requirements no more no less.  You could possibly photocopy a letter he writes to a distant relative or the review he writes for his favorite game or product.  

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM

We don't have to do portfolios, but I always take pictures of the different activities we do and places we go. Just for the heck of it I put together a Shutterfly photo book with a few captions (mainly about the Dates and Places) so he could have a memory book of sorts. If you're willing to buy one and have the time (I think I spent 5 or 6 hours straight on the one I did for DS)  to throw one together that might be a good thing to include as part of it.

Help send us to Washington, D.C. in Spring 2013!

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Sep. 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Can your son dictate while you type for some of the writing?

unicornnymph22
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM
I'm in PA, but we don't do unschooling for other reasons.
If I did, we would be using lapbooks though. Lapbooks are great as portfolio items because they encompass all the subjects into one.
My understanding of what the state wants for portfolio items is a sampling of the work progression through the school year. Is the handwriting improving, the math skills progressing, the reading getting better, ect.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN