Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

all about spelling

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 789 Total Views
Can you tell me some about it? I have a 5 year old who is reading. He can sound out words to spell them but not knowing all of those special rules is bothering him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM
I LOVE AAS...can't praise it enough!

It is multi~sensory...has verbal exercises, writing exercises, letter tile manipulative and a sound cd/dvd.it Teaches words by the sounds or rules that apply.

The teacher manual has EASY to follow step my step lesson plans and you can do it with one, or multiple kids.

Both my ADHD DS2 and. My NT (neurotypical) DD are doing amazing with it. We just started level 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Helping Hands on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Thanks. I should mention that D's has spd and other issues we haven't figured out yet. So if this curriculum tries to pull in say stories to teach spelling it won't work for him. He is very picky that only spelling is used in spelling. The whole oak meadow approach of teaching math through stories threw him off for a week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:11 AM
Nope...no stories...just the facts ma'am..lol

Then it uses the words in sentences for the writing (I think that started in Lvl 2) and the sentences are short but kid friendly. We giggle at them a lot...and each book has had a steady progression.

For the word writing, we use a white board or finger spell with American Sign Language ...both make it more fun. Sometimes I give DD and DS the same word and see who can spell it first..they love that. In level 1, we had them do relays with the sound letters...they would grab it off the magnet board and run it to the fridge to spell words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I want my preschool daughter to be able to spell very well. I don't really care if she goes on that National Spelling Bee when she gets older however, I do want her to be able to spell like that even if she doesn' want to pursue a Bee.

What do you guys recommend me doing first. Phonics? Then root words in other languages. I am looking forward to learning along with her and would use the same ideas for my other children too.

I've googled and gooogled my heart out trying to find out what is the first steps those Spelling Bee kids did for their great spelling vocabulary , but I cant find anything. If they had a curriculum I would do that in a second. Any advice? Thanks.

HistoryMamaX3
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:05 PM

We use, Words Their Way- I love the program and use it for all my children.

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Leapfrog helped us out we used all of them story book factory code word caper helps

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Www.havefunteaching.com
Damad.com password:BOB
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Damand.com password:BOB

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

www.arts.uottawa.ca/writcent/hypergrammar

JasonsMom2007
by Helping Hands on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM
ok so what level would you start him on? he's 5, highly gifted and reading level 3 readers and some chapter books. but his spelling skills aren't that great.
does anybody have any materials they are looking to sell?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Right now we are using level one AAS for my first grader. Last semester, we used Hooked On Phonics: Hooked On Spelling. HOP was a nice program but my son just went through it very quickly.  Level one of AAS is super easy for him; it might be because of the HOP program we used first. So far he has reviewed (I don't call it learned because he already knew this stuff) how to alphabetize, sounds of all consonants and all the sounds of the vowels, how to segment words, and the short and long sounds of each vowel. He seems rather bored with this part of it tho. Hopefully it becomes more challenging and more fun. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN