Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschooling

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 614 Total Views
I thinking about homeschooling my daughter and would like advise.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Can you please tell us what state you're in and your daughter's age/grade?

Knightquester
by Helping Hands on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Every state varies as far as laws, and what they offer to and for homeschoolers.  I would suggest updating this post and stating which state you're in because odds are there are homeschoolers here that are also in your state that can offer you advice.  Also to know more about your states laws you can look on: http://www.hslda.org/.

kitt2
by Testing the waters on Oct. 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Hi im in the England and my daughter has just started high school so year 7. She really doesn't like it and refuses to go school is not being helpful so i feel i have no choice but to educate at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

British rules for homeschooling are quite different from American rules. You might want to check out the gov.uk site regarding homeschooling. home-ed.info also has some information on homeschooling in the UK.

Best of luck!

sha_lyn68
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Quoting kitt2:

Hi im in the England and my daughter has just started high school so year 7. She really doesn't like it and refuses to go school is not being helpful so i feel i have no choice but to educate at home.

On Yahoo Answers, the UK home educators always recommend this website: http://www.educationotherwise.net/

reavis06
by Testing the waters on Oct. 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM

My husband and I are considering homeschooling our son. We were talking about it in front of my sister the other day. She butted in and told us it was a horrible idea and that our son wouldn't be normal if we did that. We truly believe that homeschooling would be the best option becasue we can teach him about God and avoid all the peer pressure that goes with public school. How do we deal with pressure about homeschoolig  like this? I know he is our child and its up to us but what she said was hurtful, she even inplied that we were bad parents for even thinking about it. So please any advice on how to deal with people like her would help. 

oahoah
by Helping Hands on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting reavis06:

My husband and I are considering homeschooling our son. We were talking about it in front of my sister the other day. She butted in and told us it was a horrible idea and that our son wouldn't be normal if we did that. We truly believe that homeschooling would be the best option becasue we can teach him about God and avoid all the peer pressure that goes with public school. How do we deal with pressure about homeschoolig  like this? I know he is our child and its up to us but what she said was hurtful, she even inplied that we were bad parents for even thinking about it. So please any advice on how to deal with people like her would help. 

I hate to say it but this may be the first of many hurtful comments. If you are truly doing what God has led you to then you have that 'armor' to protect you but it will still hurt sometimes.  Being polite and just telling her it isn't her child and she's welcome to her opinion but you and your husband are still going to do what is best for your child.  My DH & I are homeschooling for our 2nd year in a row and sadly it has kind of broken apart some of my family (siblings).  Both sets of our parents are still wondering "when" they are going to "real school".  His parents seem shocked that our kids are as smart as they are and my parents still don't quite get that this isn't just temporary and when we have a rough day or week my mom says I need to send them to school.  I have a sister who is a teacher's aide and reinforces that we are definitely doing the right thing; another sister-in-law who is also a teacher's aide and thinks it is the worst thing in the world.  My DH & I are united and confident in our reasons for doing this. We have days (especially me) where I question and wonder and worry but those are days when I have forgotten to praise God for all that he's given us and forgotten that it's ultimately all in his hands. 

So just be sure of your reasons for doing this and eventually you will develop a thicker skin. After a while the comments kind of roll off (grocery clerks, etc;).  Good luck!

Jody59
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

We live in Texas and have homeschooled 5 children. They are all very normal and well adjusted people. Two are out of college and in the work place, two are currently in college and one is at home in 10th grade.

I feel as if her  thinking is more like people thought 15 years ago. Homeschool has been proven over and over. Most colleges total are interested in homeschooled  kids. That's not to say that it works for everyone.

Socially my children had neighborhood friends, sports friends, church friends, boy scout friends...

Academically, several have graduated with honors, from  large state universities.

Best of luck,

Jody

The Writing Course

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)