Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your child's opinion

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 700 Total Views

How much do you consider your child's opinion when choosing curriculum?

We have several homeschooling catalogs around and my 8 year old is really excited about the Connections Academy and K12, more so than My Father's World or Switched on Schoolhouse, which are the two I'm leaning toward.

I have heard horrible things about our state's Connections Academy, last year it was rated "academically unacceptable" by greatschools.org because the students didn't score well on the state standardized testing.... and seen a lot of negative reviews for our state's K12 program as well, so I'm kind of freaked out by that.

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

First we studied and picked out methods of learning and homeschooling.

Then we chose curriculum.

I mostly gave them a 50% or more priority because they are the ones that have to do it. However, I tried to match it with thier best learning styles. We found that out from POC4U. Often the curriculum turned out not to be what they had hoped. In cases like that, they were allowed to piece together their own ways of studying with internet and library resources.

iHay
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM
I havent looked into k12 much and i already dont like it so i know where youre coming from. My son is only 5 so he doesnt have much opionion yet so we'll see about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I will not even get into what I think about K12 besides they are a shady company from my experience.

DS has a little opinion in it. I'll ask him if he wants to learn such and such but the final decision is mine because he's 8 and I need to make the decision based on what he needs to learn. At 8 he's not ready for that type of decision-making. LOL he would just pick every book that had a train or car on the cover.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
simplysarahd
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I agree. I am not giving my son the final say, but I want to consider the input from him since he is the one who has to do use the curriculum everyday.

I'm fairly sure we will not be using K12 or Connections, although my husband really wants us to use Connections because it's free. ;)

May I ask what your experience was with K12, if you don't mind sharing? I hear either glowing or horrible things about K12.

Quoting snowangel1979:

I will not even get into what I think about K12 besides they are a shady company from my experience.

DS has a little opinion in it. I'll ask him if he wants to learn such and such but the final decision is mine because he's 8 and I need to make the decision based on what he needs to learn. At 8 he's not ready for that type of decision-making. LOL he would just pick every book that had a train or car on the cover.

snowangel1979
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
LOL. I never actually used them, I just called for info around May.
They called me everyday for almost a month even after I told them I was not going to use them. After I got a little snotty with the lady, they started have some man call. I ended up having to just put my phone outside (because they always called during DD's nap time)

Then here's the real kicker-
They called me about a month ago, telling me that my Dh had called to enroll DS. I told them I doubt it. They pretty much demanded I send in all the paperwork enroll him saying "my SON's FATHER" wanted him enrolled by next Friday. They acted like he was just a baby daddy and we were not together. I ended up hanging up on them.

We are married and he did not call. LOL.

Quoting simplysarahd:

I agree. I am not giving my son the final say, but I want to consider the input from him since he is the one who has to do use the curriculum everyday.

I'm fairly sure we will not be using K12 or Connections, although my husband really wants us to use Connections because it's free. ;)

May I ask what your experience was with K12, if you don't mind sharing? I hear either glowing or horrible things about K12.

Quoting snowangel1979:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
simplysarahd
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM

That's insane!!!! Eeeek.

Quoting snowangel1979:

LOL. I never actually used them, I just called for info around May.
They called me everyday for almost a month even after I told them I was not going to use them. After I got a little snotty with the lady, they started have some man call. I ended up having to just put my phone outside (because they always called during DD's nap time)

Then here's the real kicker-
They called me about a month ago, telling me that my Dh had called to enroll DS. I told them I doubt it. They pretty much demanded I send in all the paperwork enroll him saying "my SON's FATHER" wanted him enrolled by next Friday. They acted like he was just a baby daddy and we were not together. I ended up hanging up on them.

We are married and he did not call. LOL.

Quoting simplysarahd:

Quoting snowangel1979:

buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I consider their opinions very much, but I present them with options to choose from that I pre-approved.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM
DS went to pre k and kindergarten .. he knew we planned to homeschooling at first grade and beyond. He literally counted the days, when asked now if he would rather be in school he emphatically states no not in a million years! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Knightquester
by Helping Hands on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM

When I go to choose curriculum I usually pick out a variety and talk to my husband and children about the options, but really none of them care and all of them end up stating that "I would know what would work best".  I still want them to know I care enough to give them choices and hear their opinions but they've not been interested in inputting much.

K12 and Connections I believe give you the curriculum that they have, so it's pre-assigned which means there's little to no choices.  I know many that use K12 and enjoy it, but I also know from just the things I've researched about the company it wouldn't be the best for our family.  I think it's one of those programs that you have to find out first if it works for you if you're unsure.  K12 I believe allows a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like their program.  You do have to send the books and supplies they sent you back to get your full refund but it's one of those nice incentives if you're considering on trying it but want an out.

Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

At this point the only input from my dd is I consider her learning style when I choos curriculum, she's 6. Now as she gets older I will allow more and more, especially with electives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)