Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your child's opinion

Posted by   + Show Post

How much do you consider your child's opinion when choosing curriculum?

We have several homeschooling catalogs around and my 8 year old is really excited about the Connections Academy and K12, more so than My Father's World or Switched on Schoolhouse, which are the two I'm leaning toward.

I have heard horrible things about our state's Connections Academy, last year it was rated "academically unacceptable" by greatschools.org because the students didn't score well on the state standardized testing.... and seen a lot of negative reviews for our state's K12 program as well, so I'm kind of freaked out by that.

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM
I use k12 and I like the curriculum but not all the restrictions of the state program here in Cali. If I could afford it on my own then I would do it that way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leighp1
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM

My daughter did the connections academy last year and we were happy and unhappy.  I can say that my daughter did extremely well on our state standards last year.

My daughter and I just decided yesterday that she would help me decide what she was going to learn. I thought that might be a better way to get her more interested in other subjects.  She would probably do math all day if I would let her. 

AsiaCansler
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM

My daughter and I went through several programs, mostly jointly chosen and they were so-so, but I wasn't seeing the progress that I knew she could have. This year, I chose the curriculum (CLE btw) and not only is she progressing at a really comfortable rate, she's "getting" concepts she missed earlier. 

btw, I ordered the dvd for K12, took a look at it and filed it away. LOL

JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I bet the quality of the state curriculum is fine, but the state's program can be very annoying.  I guess it depends what your state wants from K12.  The moms i know that have used it spend lots of time at home checking boxes, writing reports and dealing with the school.  They only do it because they get a pretty decent curriculum for free.  My friends, one by one, have been dropping out of their online state schools because of all the annoying little rules.  :-\  

Maybe your state is different.......  good luck. 

TxMom2324
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

is there a good site to go to to find out their learning style?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

First we studied and picked out methods of learning and homeschooling.

Then we chose curriculum.

I mostly gave them a 50% or more priority because they are the ones that have to do it. However, I tried to match it with thier best learning styles. We found that out from POC4U. Often the curriculum turned out not to be what they had hoped. In cases like that, they were allowed to piece together their own ways of studying with internet and library resources.

breastfeedingCameron bouncing momTrev & Gracie kissing dad

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Sites didn't work for me. I could never really understand. But POC4U worked for me.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

Quoting TxMom2324:

is there a good site to go to to find out their learning style?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

First we studied and picked out methods of learning and homeschooling.

Then we chose curriculum.

I mostly gave them a 50% or more priority because they are the ones that have to do it. However, I tried to match it with thier best learning styles. We found that out from POC4U. Often the curriculum turned out not to be what they had hoped. In cases like that, they were allowed to piece together their own ways of studying with internet and library resources.

GELiz
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I would do this procedure the way I taught my daughter how to pick dresses. YOu pick the three or four that your child may choose from. that way you have already okay'd it. Find out what exactly excites them about it and incorporate that inot your choice- maybe.

somuchlove4U
by Groovy Chick on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM
My daughter has little say. I know her learning style, so I cater to that when choosing a curriculum.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Anne on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM
I will give my DD something of a say within what I've approved of. So if she really wanted xyz and I thought it looked horrible, no I wouldn't let her do it. But if she preferred one that wasn't my favorite but still acceptable, I'd at least consider it. I'd find out what it was she liked about that one over the other and go from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I pick skill subjects (maths and language arts).

DD11 can choose the curriculum used in the following content areas - history, science, art, latin, second language. The only "guidelines" are that her choices must be either Catholic, secular, or otherwise approved by me and determined to not be "anti" Catholic.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)