Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool curriculum

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 660 Total Views

Did you use a curriculum for your preschooler?

If you do not use a curriculum, what types of activities or learning aides, do you use?

Next year my youngest son will be 3, almost 4 and my daughter will be 2. My daughter is actually quite advanced for her age so I'm thinking of informally homeschooling her while I work with my preschooler. With my little guy, I'm not planning to work for more than an hour or so with him a day since he would technically be in 3's class because of his fall birthday.

I would like to be as cost effective as possible, since we'll already be spending money on my oldest.

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tracykelly79
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I have a 3 year old (will be 4 in March) and a 6 year old who does a virtual academy. What I usually do with my 3 year old is to give her a lot of lessons through play like blocks, music CDs, puzzles, pretend play, and computer games. She loves starfall.com, www.sesamestreet.org, www.nickjr.com, and I am thinking of purchasing abcmouse.com for next year (it is about $7.95 a month). I also find worksheets from  www.first-school.ws, www.education.com, and www.preschoolpalace.com. We do art activities a lot as well. I also allow my 3 year old to join in on my virtual schooler's history and science lessons. If he is doing a science experiment, I allow her to join in. We take them to the library every two weeks and allow her to pick out library books that she wants us to read and allow her time to play on the computer, look in books, and do puzzles there. We read to her constantly and she loves to sit and read by picture!

Everything so far is cheap (only basic school supplies and art materials), but if we do abcmouse.com it will be around $96 for the entire year.

lovemymarine18
by Testing the waters on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM
I use letteroftheweek.com for my 2 year old, its free and he loves it. It has several different ages.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Most of the tme I use things that were around to the house counting stairs. Just saying the ABC'S letters sounds. I use the library a lot for books with shapes colors numbers and letters. I found puzzles with colors letters shapes and numbers.  We walk around the blocks. We use to help was http://www.havefunteaching/.com(because they love to dance). Damand.com Password:BOB. Movies like Leapfrog movies: (Phonics Sounds, Letter Factory, Math Circus)  to  help.

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM
livanded
by Testing the waters on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM

My dd loves the worksheets from 

http://www.kidslearningstation.com/ 

http://www.schoolsparks.com/

we also love the stuff from 1+1+1=1, homeschool creations, and confessions of a homeschooler

almondpigeon
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM

for my 3 (almost 4) year old, i buy those cheapie pre-k workboooks from walmart.  having a work book makes him feel like a big boy.  we also do a lot of connect the dots, shapes, number & letter recognition and puzzles.  i'm not at all strict with his school time....some days he works for an hour, some days just a few minutes & some days not at all.  

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

At 2-3 it was a lot of play learning!  We had a fisher price smart bounce pony that connected to the tv and my son would bounce and learn letters and sounds, shapes, colors and counting.  You can find them pretty cheap on craigslist. We also had a drum and letter spinner from leap frog from when he was a baby that we used. Like the previous post we used www.letteroftheweek.com for a guideline and of course as he was able to control the mouse we introduced www.starfall.com.  We do a letter poster each week and put things on it that start with the letter and I get lots of crafts from www.dltk-kids.com which has other great sister sites it links too. We have dry erase boards and books with letters and numbers that we use to practice writing. To build fine motor skills we do lacing and use cheerios and beans a lot in crafts so the little fingers have to work to pick them up and glue them on.  Read tons of books! We play Candyland to enforce color learning and card games like go fish to enforce numbers.  We learned 10 numbers a week and made our own number cards then would have to run around and bring the numbers back in order 1 at a time starting with help to find the number and by end of week knowing it well enough to hear it and then go recognize it without help. We also have the leap frog fridge phonics with capitals and lowercase letters so each week we start off introducing the letters that way and my boys all loved dancing to those songs.  We also now use a site www.readingkey,com but only the first 9 week lessons are free after that you pay but we find it worth it!  good luck and have fun!

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM
We just received the preschool program from Christian Liberty Press....i spent hours looking at it last night and it looks great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megansmom30
by Amy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

This is a great website that i used when my daughter was in preschool.  Free curriculum for every month.

http://preschoolpalace.org/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)