Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cirriculum Meltdown!!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 430 Total Views

Ok, I am gearing up to pull the kids from PS and start back HSing them agian(if you know the story as to why they are there you will understand this post) I am having a major meltdown with cirriculum for my DS who is in 1st grade.  I am very Charlotte Mason with touches of traditional and classic mixed in...I have no clue pulling at midyear what to do now! I have looked at so many packaged cirriculum and they just make me so mad! I am enrolling them in the co-op for Spring to help with classes that are "school" like.  I want the kids to enjoy HS as much as they did before but am terrified that if I do not use the boxed cirriculum set that is very scope and sequence we will get into trouble! Any suggestions on good Spelling, Reading/English, and Math cirriculum that I can alter to fit into our style HSing??? It does not have to be a set, I love mixing and matching!

"When the storms of life come, the wicked are whirled away, but the godly have a lasting foundation." Proverbs 10:25

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Denominational or faith preference?

We're Catholic, so we haven't used it, but I've heard My Father's World (protestant) is charlotte mason-ish. On the Catholic end, I think Catholic Heritage Curriculum is very charlotte mason-ish.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM
I swear by All About Spelling and Math U See.

AAS is multi~sensory and great for all types of learners. It is pretty inexpensive ($30 per level after buying the manipulatives) and works for multiple kids are once.

MUS is mastery and builds a really strong foundation. However,coming from PS I'm not sure you want to go back to only addition (1st grade) or maybe try the 2nd level.

Teaching Textbooks is another good curriculum. Its on the computer and does all the grading for you which is nice.Its a little behind grade level, IMO, so do the placement testing and see where he falls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MentorMom1
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I liked Pathways (published by Amish folks) for comprehensive language arts that includes reading grammar and phonics. http://www.pathwayreaders.com/.  (All the storiesare family-centered, have "moral lessons" that reflect basic truths, and are about "real" situations involving decisions that children face. They are not what I would call religious in any sense of the word.) You would have to see what level your son should have. They have a placement test available on their website.

I believe the curriculum also includes spelling. But you can check. I am a former remedial reading teacher, and believe kids need to spell (take dictation) on the phonemes they are learning and the phonetically regular words they can make with them. 

Here's a way to teach Irregular words (does, goes, the, they, etc.): These can be taught more gradually, preferable using arm tapping (I call these "red words, and put them on index cards in red marker. When it's time to learn a new one, the child traces three times while saying the word and letter names (not the sounds) out loud. Then, while looking at the card, he write the word three times in red crayon on paper, saying the word and letter names aloud. Then, he goes down his arm with a tap for each letter, while saying the letter names. And finally, turning the card over, he says and writes the word from memory. To remember the spelling, ask the child to arm tap the word. After learning several, you quiz on these separately from phonetically regular words, or at the end of a spelling test. And always take some from the past and bring them back, keeping the stack of cards in a box.  

The Pathways materials are surprisingly thorough and inexpensive.

For Math I likes Modern Curriculum Press. Saxon did not have enough practice with new concepts being taught for my liking, or my kids' needs. I didn't like so incredibly much spiraling review. And A Beka moved very fast, without enough practice either. Modern Curriculum Press math was just right. For later math I likes Teaching Textbooks, by the Sabouri brothers.  Their program is excellent!  I don't know how early it starts (my daughter had it for geometry.)

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM

We mostly follow www.oldfashionededucation.com (OFE).  For math we use the MEPs program it's free and linked to from OFE. For grammar I use Scott Foresman grammar it is also free and linked through OFE along with the McGuffey Reader's and copywork and narrations. I like www.amblesideonline.com history and mix in the geography of OFE.  As for science, my boys (13, 8, & 5) prefer lots of experiments so we use www.superchargedscience.com which we pay for on a monthly basis but it is very worth it along with Botany from Apologia. We are also using a vocabulary program from www.readingkey.com also a monthly fee and to help encourage reading we use www.bookadventure.com free site that my boys love using to earn rewards! I think you can jump in where you want and not worry about where you need to be especially with the math program-just do it on your timeline since you don't have to be on a ps schedule.  Have fun and welcome back!

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM
We recently switched to Christian Liberty Press and are loving it. Minimal prep for me (at least compared to Oak Meadow), thorough, and to the point. Its not as hands on as i would have liked, but i can add what i want....and its getting the job done for a great price :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN