Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public school failing my gifted child *some minor language since repeating the bullies*

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM
  • 31 Replies
  • 1690 Total Views

My son was bored in Kindergarten. I thought I would start with that shocker. What kid would be bored in kindergarten? Apparently mine was because he said it was too slow and he wanted to know more. My husband and I took his education in our own hands since last year to keep his thirst of knowledge satisfied. He was also bullied really bad in kindergarten and we tried to work with the teacher on this but she tried to blame my son. She didn't even bother to look at him and said it was too early to tell if he is accelerated. Fine, whatever. The teacher was complaining that he didn't know anything and was failing all of his classes and low scores. Then he can't sit still... turns out my son was messing with her because he was bored. He told me basically he was toying with her during the tests.

This year he was skipping to school because he loves learning and school. Two months into the school year he starts telling me he hates school and wants to be stupid. WHAT?! So I had a parent teacher conference with his new teacher. I expected the same attitude and was kind of on my guard. Turns out he was ahead of the class on all subjects and he is being bullied by two students. The teacher was more than willing to work with me on this. A month in my son shows up with bruises on his body and pretends like he can't read. I finally bribe it out of him with a doughnut that there is a little girl in his class who is physically abusing him and calling him stupid and ripping his books out of his hands while he is reading and telling him he isn't allowed to read because he is a stupid fuck. Yeah, first grade.  My son is reading Dr. Seuss books with ease to us and his favorite bed time stories are Harry Potter, The Hobbit, and wants us to start reading Jules Vern to him next. Math comes really easy to him as well. So back I go to the school to talk to them. They test him and he lands in the gifted program but the public schools gifted program is still too slow for these kids and they refuse to jump him a grade because they are worried he will be bullied more by the other students. So my son is being held back because of bullies yet again! This has been frustrating the hell out of me and the teacher because we are running out of ideas within the school. So my son comes up to me and tells me he wants to be home schooled. My seven year old wants to be home schooled. I found a great online school with an adjustable curriculum. I talked to my husband and we found a few awesome robotics programs at the local rec center, talking to the public library about their programs for home schooled children, and looking around more for different idea's to help feed his ever growing hunger. That way if they tell me he is at the second grade level I do not have to worry about my son being bullied by other kids at home. My husband was the same way as a kid and the public school almost failed him as well. My mother in law pulled him out and home schooled him and man my husband is so very smart. He graduated from college with honors as well and was on the dean's list the whole time he was in school.

Now I am looking at the online schools and they are telling me that the enrollment is closed for the year. What to do? He just wants to continue his education but he just cannot take it anymore at the public school. 

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HistoryMamaX3
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

You can pull them out and do your own program for the first year- focus on what you want, then enroll him next year into the online program. :-)

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I need a lot of information if I am going to do that. I am so worried about failing him as well. Any suggestions to sites on curriculum?

blessedwith
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM

You know, with it being December, just take trips to the library and do a TON of reading.  Have him write about the books you guys read, and get a math workbook from wherever.  You can cover science and history and literature in the reading, writting reports can help you work on spelling, grammar, penmanship and creative writing.  The math for math.  You'll do fine.

chotovec82
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

My son is doing 1st and 2nd grade work. I bought all first grade curriculum but we also do Time4Learning.com which in some subjects he is at the 3rd grade level, Readingeggs.com and starfall.com. I also want to get Brainpop.com- not brainpop jr. tho because he has gone through that a thousand times. We did Hooked On Phonics (HOP) for reading. We are also doing spanish and I used Hooked on Phonics: Hooked on Spanish for that. We are doing Math. I have bought two curriculums for that. HOP and an actual school text. We do grammar and I chose "Growing with Grammar," for the text. Most of my HOP stuff goes to second grade level. I also use HOP Spelling and All About Spelling. Plus with all the subjects except for spelling. We do Scott Foesman Science and Herritage Studies for SS. We also go to the library and read a bunch of books about all these subjects.  My son is excelling with the curriculum I've chosen. 

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM

My son loves to do a lot of hands on learning as well so I want to offer him more than just reading about it. My son was about four years old and with his father's help built a brush robot. So I am looking at everything he would love. He has been begging me for a chemistry set as well as almost the whole section of the science area at Barnes and Noble lol.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

My Mother in law is helping me with Spanish. Since my in-law's are hispanic that is a huge help lol. 

Right now my son is working on writing a book with Daddy. I am the editor. 

Quoting chotovec82:

My son is doing 1st and 2nd grade work. I bought all first grade curriculum but we also do Time4Learning.com which in some subjects he is at the 3rd grade level, Readingeggs.com and starfall.com. I also want to get Brainpop.com- not brainpop jr. tho because he has gone through that a thousand times. We did Hooked On Phonics (HOP) for reading. We are also doing spanish and I used Hooked on Phonics: Hooked on Spanish for that. We are doing Math. I have bought two curriculums for that. HOP and an actual school text. We do grammar and I chose "Growing with Grammar," for the text. Most of my HOP stuff goes to second grade level. I also use HOP Spelling and All About Spelling. Plus with all the subjects except for spelling. We do Scott Foesman Science and Herritage Studies for SS. We also go to the library and read a bunch of books about all these subjects.  My son is excelling with the curriculum I've chosen. 

chotovec82
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Yea we do do hands on. I subscribed to the Magic School Bus or Young Scientists Club and he gets a science kit once a month. So we enjoy doing that...  He also does woodwork with his grandparents, nature hiking and identifying of plants, bugs, etc.. We go to museums and zoos and a lot of reading. There are many ways to make things fun. Fortunately the time4learning, readingeggs, brainpop and starfall are fun too.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

My Mother in law is helping me with Spanish. Since my in-law's are hispanic that is a huge help lol. 

Right now my son is working on writing a book with Daddy. I am the editor. 

Quoting chotovec82:

snowangel1979
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
You can just pull him out and do your own thing.
I use spectrum workbooks.

Your DS sounds a lot like my DS. He used to have fun messing with his teachers and knew exactly how to work the whole staff.
But was failing because he couldn't sit still and was bored. He would be in second but is doing 3-5 grade work.

Also watch the online programs, especially if they are paid for by the state. They will tell you whatever you want to hear, to get you to sign up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Look up your state's Standard of Learning Curriculum by grade.  It will give you a guideline to go by.  Go to the book store or on Amazon and get workbooks for Math and Language Arts.  You'll find spelling workbooks too.  All by grade.  Have him work thru those and look at Time4Learning.com. That will help too.  That should get you this year until you can get him enrolled into something online.  

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Find out the laws in your state, and what you need to do to pull him out and start homeschooling right now.

The first year that we did it on our own I purchased a subscription to time4learning.com, and supplemented with units (literature, science, social studies) using some of the units here:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/levels.php

Along with other hands on learning that I pulled together. Look at what your child is interested and go from there!

One of the nice things about time4learning is that you have access to a complete curriculum in all subjects for three grade levels, so if your child needs to move ahead (or back) they can. You can also ask them to change the grade levels at any time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN