Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public school failing my gifted child *some minor language since repeating the bullies*

Posted by   + Show Post

My son was bored in Kindergarten. I thought I would start with that shocker. What kid would be bored in kindergarten? Apparently mine was because he said it was too slow and he wanted to know more. My husband and I took his education in our own hands since last year to keep his thirst of knowledge satisfied. He was also bullied really bad in kindergarten and we tried to work with the teacher on this but she tried to blame my son. She didn't even bother to look at him and said it was too early to tell if he is accelerated. Fine, whatever. The teacher was complaining that he didn't know anything and was failing all of his classes and low scores. Then he can't sit still... turns out my son was messing with her because he was bored. He told me basically he was toying with her during the tests.

This year he was skipping to school because he loves learning and school. Two months into the school year he starts telling me he hates school and wants to be stupid. WHAT?! So I had a parent teacher conference with his new teacher. I expected the same attitude and was kind of on my guard. Turns out he was ahead of the class on all subjects and he is being bullied by two students. The teacher was more than willing to work with me on this. A month in my son shows up with bruises on his body and pretends like he can't read. I finally bribe it out of him with a doughnut that there is a little girl in his class who is physically abusing him and calling him stupid and ripping his books out of his hands while he is reading and telling him he isn't allowed to read because he is a stupid fuck. Yeah, first grade.  My son is reading Dr. Seuss books with ease to us and his favorite bed time stories are Harry Potter, The Hobbit, and wants us to start reading Jules Vern to him next. Math comes really easy to him as well. So back I go to the school to talk to them. They test him and he lands in the gifted program but the public schools gifted program is still too slow for these kids and they refuse to jump him a grade because they are worried he will be bullied more by the other students. So my son is being held back because of bullies yet again! This has been frustrating the hell out of me and the teacher because we are running out of ideas within the school. So my son comes up to me and tells me he wants to be home schooled. My seven year old wants to be home schooled. I found a great online school with an adjustable curriculum. I talked to my husband and we found a few awesome robotics programs at the local rec center, talking to the public library about their programs for home schooled children, and looking around more for different idea's to help feed his ever growing hunger. That way if they tell me he is at the second grade level I do not have to worry about my son being bullied by other kids at home. My husband was the same way as a kid and the public school almost failed him as well. My mother in law pulled him out and home schooled him and man my husband is so very smart. He graduated from college with honors as well and was on the dean's list the whole time he was in school.

Now I am looking at the online schools and they are telling me that the enrollment is closed for the year. What to do? He just wants to continue his education but he just cannot take it anymore at the public school. 

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
Looneyfarmmom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

That isn't what I meant. I mean I live in the boonies and even though people like to pretend they have a lot of options for culture and education like museum's that isn't the deal. You have tiny little zoo's, museum's, and science centers that are really expensive for their size.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM

And my son is going into some programs for sports, dance, and more. 

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

A day trip out to Baker to see the Oregon Trail Museum. The Art Museum in Boise at Julia Davis. The zoo is small, but nice. The science museum is neat. Art in the Park during the summer. The Birds of Prey Center in Kuna. Hispanic Heritage celebrations in Boise and in Nampa.

Very few of them are right there in Nampa, but they're all within a reasonable drive. You don't have to do something every day, or even every week, but there are lots of resources as well as plenty of homeschoolers.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

A day trip out to Baker to see the Oregon Trail Museum.

The Art Museum in Boise (Been there many times and limited)

at Julia Davis.

The zoo is small, but nice. (Been there and nothing different has been offered)

The science museum is neat.(Expensive and limited) 

Art in the Park during the summer (That is a once a year thing and do go many times).

The Birds of Prey Center in Kuna (Been there and you can only go so many times before the child says "NOT AGAIN!").

Hispanic Heritage celebrations in Boise and in Nampa. (Done that and limited and lacking a lot of things he could learn.)

Very few of them are right there in Nampa, but they're all within a reasonable drive. You don't have to do something every day, or even every week, but there are lots of resources as well as plenty of homeschoolers.

I grew up in Havelock, NC with my father, in Washington and Oregon with my mother. When I think culture and education... this is just sad compared to what I grew up with. I have had to supplement a lot for my son but I wish he could see this stuff hands on. My husband agreed since he grew up in California. We wish Idaho would take this stuff seriously but that is their thing.

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I think Idaho offers a lot of outdoor opportunities and a lot of history, but you're right, not a ton of culture geared for younger kids or small budgets. It has a fantastic theatre community, but again, not for little ones.

blessedwith
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM

If you are more rural, you can't do the things urban families do, that's true.  However, you DO have a wealth of opportunities right outside your door, and most of them are low cost or free.

Get a book (or watch some videos) about drawing, and go outside onto a nature trail and draw a pretty scene, experiencing the art instead of just looking at it.

Instead of going to the zoo, go out and find the animals in their natural habitat.  Go on hikes and look for their footprints, and their dung, Bird watch

It is a more active education, that is true, but it will make for some GREAT memories, you'll learn something along the way, and might give you child a love of the outdoors that will last his whole life.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Quoting blessedwith:

If you are more rural, you can't do the things urban families do, that's true.  However, you DO have a wealth of opportunities right outside your door, and most of them are low cost or free.

Get a book (or watch some videos) about drawing, and go outside onto a nature trail and draw a pretty scene, experiencing the art instead of just looking at it. We do backpacking, hiking, camping, and more. I am getting my son into a lot of things I was raised to do. We have been doing books, drawing, and experiencing the outdoors since he was a toddler. That is why he is in the gifted program. 

Instead of going to the zoo, go out and find the animals in their natural habitat.  Go on hikes and look for their footprints, and their dung, Bird watch We do all that as well and like I said hiking and backpacking. He also goes on walks with me.

It is a more active education, that is true, but it will make for some GREAT memories, you'll learn something along the way, and might give you child a love of the outdoors that will last his whole life.

We do a lot with our son that doesn't take money. But a lot of the trails we go to are over a three hour drive so we don't typically go a lot since we live in a valley. But we do go on walks and talk about things and do the hikes, talk about the weather, and more. I grew up in the outdoors and was never home. Most of the time I was in the wilderness living off of freeze dried food. Outside looking at the stars was one of my favorites, my son writes books with his father, and we work the heck out of what we can do for free.

Why I was asking for advice was more for the fact that we do not have a lot of culture and education options. When we go to a Hispanic event we find it lacks a lot of education about the culture. My in-laws are Hispanic and we do the best we can to introduce him to more of his culture. I thought maybe I was missing something that is out there. But really I haven't missed much. My son is into science like robotics and computer programming. I did happen to find a robotics class to put him in to but what I would love is a lot more to do with science and more. Luckily we are still searching to see if we can find anything and a lot of the women gave great advice about where to find these groups. 

Right now money isn't great but we are making it so we are limited to what we can and cannot do. I am being as creative I can with limited resources until we move. My whole family has moved out of Idaho because they couldn't find things here whether it was work or the fact we didn't like limited it was for our children. We are looking at Washington State, a few states back East like Massachusetts, and then also Colorado. It has gotten better here over the years but it is still slowly progressing. 

tiredmomfor2
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

We are doing an online school until I can come up with something. Right now it was a last minute decision to pull him out. The one we chose was an adjustable curriculum that met his needs and not a traditional schools. We didn't decide to go with the plain and simple. During the rest of the year I am going to start figuring out this boy and what he needs and wants. Plus right now I am pregnant so I need the help with a lot of his education. I can still use my brain but not as easy as when I am not pregnant. 

The problem is I live in the boonies of the US and we don't have the options you did in NYC. We plan to move soon so we should have a lot more options then. I think once I start getting the basic idea of teaching my son through the online schools that I may have more confidence in the next year to move forward. I also think my son needs time to unwind from the tension of public school to really focus on what he wants to do and is interested in. He has had the teachers tell him what he could and couldn't be and how he needs to fit in to a perfect little mold of every child so he started losing that individualism. If the online school becomes the same way then I will see about pushing the unschooling sooner. 

My husband was the same way and my mother in law yanked him out of school. But she worries my son won't be socialized like my husband wasn't or getting his physical activity. I am talking to a few people about maybe some hip hop classes since my son had shown some interest recently, optimist football, science groups, and more. He is also half Hispanic and I truly believe in learning multiple languages so he has been hanging out with his Abuela and she has been helping him learn Spanish and works with me on his reading and English. So I have a positive attitude towards this. 

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction Mama! It is amazing how much they try to change a child's personality in school especially at such a young age. :(
Definitely give him a couple weeks to deschool..and then pick it up again. :)
I have a feeling that you and your son wont be in the online school for long. Just from the sounds of it, he will probably get bored. :) we started out in an online school (because I was pregnant ;) and then switched to our own program later on.
Good Luck! You can do it!
Oh and just a thought. I find it interesting that your MIL is concerned even though she also homeschooled your husband and from the sounds of it he turned out great. Lol aren't in laws fun? ;) hehe
motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

Damand.com

leapfrog movies

I went to a dollar store blocks Lego's colors is what we do to learn color go around the house telling me what they know then I ask questions.Reading going to library drawing go play with cousins we write find out what he like to do.build school around him.

pce68
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Sounds like you could do a mixture of workbooks and unschooling right now. Use some workbooks for math, and maybe spelling/vocabulary, and for science and social studies, ask your child for some ideas on things he would like to learn more about and then get kits and books related to those subjects and study that. Google and see if there is a homeschooling bookstore near you and go see what they have. If there isn't one near you, you can try looking online at rainbowresource.com. They are a homeschooling curriculum website. They can also mail you a catalog if you would prefer. 

Also, check and see if there are any homeschooling groups near you. Try looking for homeschooling groups under yahoo groups or google groups. The parents in those groups would be able to help you find enrichment classes for different subjects. If there are any museums, history or science centers near you, they may have homeschooling classes. Sometimes they charge and sometimes they are free. And also ask your local librarian for info on homeschooling activities, or for info on different books that may help your son learn more about whatever subjects he is interested in. Good luck!

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

My son loves to do a lot of hands on learning as well so I want to offer him more than just reading about it. My son was about four years old and with his father's help built a brush robot. So I am looking at everything he would love. He has been begging me for a chemistry set as well as almost the whole section of the science area at Barnes and Noble lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)