Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

National Spelling Bee Curriculum or advice/ideas

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 437 Total Views

I want my preschool daughter to be able to spell very well. I don't really care if she goes on that National Spelling Bee when she gets older however, I do want her to be able to spell like that even if she doesn' want to pursue a Bee.

What do you guys recommend me doing first. Phonics? Then root words in other languages. I am looking forward to learning along with her and would use the same ideas for my other children too.

I've googled and gooogled my heart out trying to find out what is the first steps those Spelling Bee kids did for their great spelling vocabulary , but I cant find anything. If they had a curriculum I would do that in a second. Any advice? Thanks.

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I understand if you guys don't know the curriculum or anything, but do you guys know who I can ask? Anything would help.

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM

It sounds like you're really looking for a very strong language arts curriculum. I'd say broaden your scope from National Spelling Bee stuff and look for curricula that focuses on phonics and vocabulary. Latin and Greek may be in your future as well, so look into the Classical method. Check out The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer.

shoeshoegirl12
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Thank you... :)

JenieceMojica
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Quoting MyVavies:

My 8th grade son has a very well phonics awareness. I think we are ready for something like Greek and Latin root words and stuff. Where do you think I can find a kind of curriculum for that?

Look on Christianbook.com:

Vocabulary Vine: A Spiral Study of Latin and Greek Roots

Word Roots by The Critical Thinking Co.

not sure if that's what you're looking for but thought I'd throw them out there for you

MyVavies
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

My kids all start out with phonics and then Greek/ Latin langauge. It worked out great for them.

We used   Militia Sensory spelling and (visual Phonics -for hard of hearing even though none of my kids where  hard of hearing...) The militia Sensory didn't do much for hands on but wonders in the other senses, that's why we used visual Phonics. The visual Phonic had hand shapes you use (like the sign language alphabet but with phonics!)

Then we went to Greek and Latin words. My kids Grew up learning sign language, English, and Mexican Spanish. When they got to the first grade we slow.. ever so slow went to homeschool Rosetta stone Latin. Then when their Latin was fully develop around the 5th grade, we learned Greek with homeschool Rosetta stone Greek. As we did the Rosetta stone, we used these off curriculum's to help with their vocabulary and fun of learning: 

*More Greek and Latin Roots Gr. 4-8

*English from the Roots Up Flashcards, Vol.1 and 2

That's what we did. Hope it helped.

Laurin283
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I think phonics is always the best place to start (esp if you're just dealing with a pre-k age child), because how can you learn to spell words if you don't know how letters and blends work, and how to put them together into words?  There are sightword lists for as young as pre-k going I think till about 3rd grade.  I recommend teaching those, with the sounds each letter and blends of letters can make, talk about the simple rules like silent k and e, -igh, -ight, ough, etc.  THEN you can build with whatever else you want, Greek/Latin/etc.  But since your child is starting out, I'd stick with the tried and true method of phonics/sight words first.  That's the way it's taught in public school, as well as many of the online programs/lessons/websites.

Laurin283
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, for the past 2 years I have done the Scripps National Spelling Bee prep with my students (I teach at a small nonpublic school), and you need to know the basic English spelling rules to understand why some words are the way they are.  After the school bee level, there are no lists to study from, because they encourage learning the roots of Greek Latin and so forth.  But they have spelling lists for grades 1-8 if you sign up for the program when your child is older.  And 1st grade lists start with simple one and two syllable words, like cart/firehouse/slime.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)