Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my husband and I are considering homeschooling for our two young kids and my husband has a few concerns i told him i would try to work out before we decide. the main one is money how do we afford supplies, the extra meals they will eat at home, and curriculum etc... he works and also gets money from being injured in his time serving in the  military so we do have a small chunk of money coming in. I'm looking to get estimated numbers for how much would commonly be spent to home school 2 kids for a month, a year what ever i can get. my hubby responds to numbers that's why I'm trying to get an actual estimated price and really anything will help. i really want to home school i just need to give my husband the piece of mind that we wont go broke because we want to teach our children

Thank you     A-Mattson

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Replies (11-13):
HistoryMamaX3
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I started homeschooling this year and we had a slight increase in our food budget, but I packed lunches every day when they went to school... so it wasn't that much of a difference for us- mostly a bit more in the 'snack' area. :-)

As for supplies- I spent $120 on 'school' supplies at the beginning of the year and we're about ready to buy more printer ink (we have a laser printer so it lasts longer) and I bought $100 worth of Math books for our 3 kids... and $60 on our spelling curriculum. Everything else I had from teaching before or I get from the library or make up on my own. We haven't spent much at all. :-)

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I spend too much... but there are people who do it really cheap (virtually free) you may want to search the forums we have had a couple on this topic lately.  I use our tax return to pay for ours though.  

Here is one:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/17614832/When_you_say_that_you_spend_less_than_300_to_hs?ct=search_grouppost

And Another: 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/699/forums/read/17612153/Calling_all_Moms_Dilemma_over_here?next=11#replies

The first thing you should do though is decide what curriculum you would like to use though.  That way you can determine what type of stuff you would need to buy.  For example there are curriculums out there that you can buy the bare bones and use the library and internet to fill in the rest.  Or you can buy complete packages, or you can build your own.  

I built an entire curriculum for the woman who wrote this post based on her budget.  It's on the second page.  There are also a ton of other great suggestions.  

Here is a forum with some great resources for little ones:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/699/forums/read/17561183/Preschool_curriculum

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM

There are a lot of free resources out there, you can do it for pretty cheap.

I'm lucky in that I am in CA and can have my kids enrolled in a Charter school that gives me $1600 per year to spend on each child to buy curriculum. that is WAY more than I would spend!

I don't know how many other states have that option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN