Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone used...

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

K12? It's apparently free online public school. It sounds a little too good to be true but it says it's fully accredited and everything like that. I'm looking into it for my 1st grader and I'm in Utah if that makes any difference. It's k12.com

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
vlynn.iowa
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Be wary of these.  If it is a k12 on-line school in your current distrcit it is better.  If it is not in your district then your 1st grader could not also enroll in the art class or band/choir program offered by the local district.  

blessedhappymom
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM
I'm in Texas and called about this last week for my son who is in kinder. Our state does not allow online school until 3rd grade. AND the child must have been enrolled in a public school the year before. So the option presented to us was for the International Academy where we would have to pay...$5400 a year. So we won't go with this option, but the rep said Texas was the only state like this so maybe it would be different in Utah. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not use K12, it's not true homeschooling to me, because generally, the free version is public school and you have less options.  Part of the reason I homeschool is to not have government interference in my children's education.

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep in mind that it IS public school at home. You aren't the teacher, there is a an assigned teacher. In many states it isn't flexible and you cannot substitute or skip assignments - you do what you are assigned to do. So if one thing isn't working (say the language arts they use), unlike with homeschooling, you do not have the option of replacing it with another program of your choice.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

It is public school so they will still have a say in your homeschool.  I stayed totally clear of anything to do with the government in my school.  My DIL used it this yr for my grandson but is getting away from it next year.  She didn't care for it.  I'm glad she is venturing out on her own now. 

Simply_Janeen
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

It depends on what you are looking for. I'm not doing K12, I'm doing Connections Academy which is different but similar. There is a K12 group on Cafemom where you can find out more information because, like I said, there are some differences between the two.

It is public school but through the internet. You tend to work with a teacher and you're what is called a learning coach. You're still doing a lot of the teaching though and you are sent the curriculum and sometimes even a computer (depends on the school and state). It's not as flexible as homeschooling, I'm finding out and I'm trying to figure out just what we're going to do with my first grader because we're having a lot of issues staying caught up with lessons (but I've been told that the pace with Connections is a little faster than K12). Whether you can enroll halfway through the year also depends on the state. Here in WI, there's an enrollment period and it's for the next school year so you can't just put your child into another school district whenever. Might be different if the school is actually in the same district but in my case, it's not.

For a semester, it may work and it would give you an idea as to what your child is to learn in that grade and where he's at (what I'm learning having my daughter in the program she's in now) but it does differ from homeschooling in a lot of ways. DH says it's like doing public school at home. He's been okay with it because the lessons at least aren't problematic with his belief system so far but in as far as the curriculum goes, it's pretty rigid. Not a bad thing when you're first starting out and you don't know what the heck you're doing (like me) but it's one of those deals where it just doesn't work for everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN