Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm looking for...

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 466 Total Views

I want something all together. Like a package curriculum. This is my first year and I'm overwhelmed as it is. I need something we can start in the middle of the year. My son is in 1st grade and I want to start right after Christmas break. I don't want anything religious based and it has to be fairly inexpensive...

Ugh...

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd suggest going to your local parent / teacher store. Get a grade one workbook that covers all the main subjects. Supplement with online resources and your library. Also gardening, cooking, park time, the zoo and so on. Have fun with it. Make it fun for him!

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Its hard finding inexpensive secular packages. In fact, the ONLY secular boxed curriculums are Moving Beyond the Page, Timberdoodle, Oak Meadow, Christopherus, Enki, and Calvert. You might try to find them used at www.homeschoolclassifieds.com.

You could easily piece something together cheaply....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by Doula Cheri on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

We homeschool without a full boxed curriculum.

I suggest focusing on the three R's if your child is still in early elementary. Reading, wRiting and aRithmatic. It's fairly easy, you can find all kinds of ideas. Read some homeschool books from your library.

Pukalani79
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM

We use Oak Meadow and love it

frstldyhmsch
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Hi, If you go to www.teacherspayteachers.com you can sign up for a free account and then browse the FREE stuff section! I've found gold mines there. You can also find lesson plans on there too. They have LOTS of really good stuff either for free or REALLY, REALLY cheap! hope this helps

Through the eyes of a "Teacher Momma " typing

http://www.branyact.blogspot.com/  Let's talk homeschool  

Ichthus
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

You should look at the website www.lessonpathways.com. They provide a full curriculum for free up through grade 5.

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM
www.damand.com
Password:BOB
Math you can work on add subtraction touch on telling times then little times and divide
we read books ask them questions about the book. Write about their topic go to the library for science energy sound body plants anamils lights social studies libaray we look at books as well went by the calendar every holiday learning your history of city state town county country
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gummibear
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I use http://www.homeschooltracker.com (basic is free) and I use http://www.lessonpathways.com/  also free. We use IXL.com as a quiz site for math. ( cheap)

oahoah
by Helping Hands on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Try a search for Easy Peasy All in One Homeschool. It is all online and completely free.  I have used some of it and liked it.

Deanna155
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I recommend using a multi-subject workbook, such as those found at Walmart.  I have been using those for my kids' pre-K to grade 1 curricula, with positive results.

You may also wish to incorporate lapbooking.  It is a creative way for your child to do work in a hands-on way, and is very inexpensive.  A great place to get started is Lapbook Lessons, if you are interested. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)