Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to this chat but would like input if anyone can help

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 160 Total Views

I have never really posted on a site like this so please forgive me.

I have a 6 year old son who has ODD and Mood Disorder (childhood bi polar).

He is not doing well in school settings and I'm thinking of Home schooling him because as a Kindergardener he's been Out of School Suspension in on school and I didn't let him go back due to the lack of skills to handle his needs, along with other issues. He then started a new school and on day one destroyed school property and scared teachers with his behavior. He's on meds and we are still adjusting him but I am to the point I don't think public school at this point will help him.

I have no idea where to begin to home school and I'm looking for advice to prepare after the Holidays to start.

Can anyone please give me advice as I can't see him go through several schools just to feel frustrated even more.

Thanks and Happy Holidays

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Welcome!!!!

I am sorry for what you are going through. It sounds like homeschooling would be a good fit for the rest of this year...and maybe beyond ;)

First, you need to know your States homeschooling laws. You can find them at www.hslda.org.

Second, you need to make some decisions. If you answer them here we can point you in the right direction.

Do you want a Christian or Non-Christian curriculum?

How does your son learn best? Listening, hands-on, or visually?

What is your budget?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kttr
by Testing the waters on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Do you want a Christian or Non-Christian curriculum?

Non-Christian

How does your son learn best? Listening, hands-on, or visually?

Not exactly sure at this point as nothing has worked in school so it's hard to say. 
I think he works well on  all of the above to some degree.

What is your budget?
$200-$300 a month.

Hope this helps to help him.

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM
I would start by looking at a few curriculums to get a feel for whats out there and what is involved. A few secular ones are:

www.oakmeadow.com

www.movingbeyondthepage.com

www.timberdoodle.com

I spend about $700 per child per year on curriculum and budget another $50-$100 a month on supplies and such. You can spend way more or way less.

You can also just piece together different subjects and that usually saves money....but my first year, I needed handholding!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)