Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschooled mom in need of assistance

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 284 Total Views
im seeking assistance with the best curriculum social activities and removing my son from the birmingham school system he is in the sixth grade we have been homeschooling since august
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM

"Best curriculum social activities"? Just, the best activities for him to socialize in? Whatever appeals to him and his interests. It could be sports, or art or music classes, or chess and robot clubs. It could be volunteering at the library or soup kitchens. Maybe it's church and youth group. There are tons of possibilities!

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Dec. 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Best curriculum would be likewise -whatever works best for him and his learning style.  We use alot of www.oldfashionededucation.com and www.amblesideonline.com. For science we use www.superchargedscience.com. We also use www.khanacademy.com and coolmath.com and for foreign language we use www.livemocha.com. My boys take a music class that focuses on piano but teaches them to play in harmony with other instruments-great class they love it! They also do judo, gymnastics and soccer and for art we do things like oragami, water paintings, crochet, embroidery, knitting, bracelet making, knot tying, what have you. They've done all sorts of fun things and whenever they have something that interests them I try and incorporate it.

smj1394
by Suzanne on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/ is a great site that reviews curriculums.

Search yahoo and you may have some homeschool groups in your area that get together to do fieldtrips or other social activities.

JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Best curriculum is hard because there isn't one best curriculum.  The best thing would be to match up with the particular way your child learns and the curriculum or program that teaches to that learning style.  Look though the stuff at the homeschoolbuyerscoop.com and see some of what is available. Also, I really suggest NOT getting an entire curriculum package.  That way you can piece together something that will match your child's learning styles in each subject.  

I really like that my children are involved in sports and video game teams.  That way they get lots of time socializing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)