Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

evaluating what level child is at

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 403 Total Views

how and when should i evaluate my children to see where the are

by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I like this which you don't have to study or prep for. It tells you level, best learning styles, suggest best ways to make use of those learning styles and then suggest curriculum that will help with those learning styles.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM

This is a difficult question to answer, pertaining to homeschool. Since there is nothing streamlining homeschool curricula, it is impossible to tell where a child would fit best into each program or curricula without taking the publisher's placement tests.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

headingsouth13
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM

do you know of any diagnostic test

Quoting AutymsMommy:

This is a difficult question to answer, pertaining to homeschool. Since there is nothing streamlining homeschool curricula, it is impossible to tell where a child would fit best into each program or curricula without taking the publisher's placement tests.

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM

To find out an actual grade placement, or to evaluate what level work a child will be at?

Quoting headingsouth13:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

headingsouth13
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM

either or both

Quoting AutymsMommy:

To find out an actual grade placement, or to evaluate what level work a child will be at?

Quoting headingsouth13:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I believe the IOWA can give grade comparables.

Figuring out what level of HOMESCHOOL curriculum to use is going to be the more difficult theme here. There is no generalized scope/sequence for them and they are not required to standardize - so one fifth grade math program, for example, may teach only fractions, division, and multiplication, while another fifth grade math program may be far beyond that, assume the child knows it, and be well into percents, ratios, and proportions. The only way to gauge placement for homeschool curricula is to closely look at their samples and to take placement tests if they are available.

Quoting headingsouth13:

either or both

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting headingsouth13:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

ablessedlife
by Helping Hands on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM
We administer a Canadian standardized test (CAT) each year after grade 2. We do this to give our children some experience with testing, and it is actually fun because they get to do it with Dad.

It is also fun for me because they have been doing extremely well and that makes me feel good! Last year our end-of-grade-3-er jumped 7 grades in the Language component from the previous year!! He score Grade Level Equivalent 10.5!! So testing can be a neat and encouraging part of homeschool. (You can casually let the results slip into conversation when there are homeschool skeptics around...)
headingsouth13
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM

where would i get them

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Figuring out what level of HOMESCHOOL curriculum to use is going to be the more difficult theme here. There is no generalized scope/sequence for them and they are not required to standardize - so one fifth grade math program, for example, may teach only fractions, division, and multiplication, while another fifth grade math program may be far beyond that, assume the child knows it, and be well into percents, ratios, and proportions. The only way to gauge placement for homeschool curricula is to closely look at their samples and to take placement tests if they are available.

Quoting headingsouth13:

either or both

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting headingsouth13:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

headingsouth13
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM

where is it available to purchace

Quoting ablessedlife:

We administer a Canadian standardized test (CAT) each year after grade 2. We do this to give our children some experience with testing, and it is actually fun because they get to do it with Dad.

It is also fun for me because they have been doing extremely well and that makes me feel good! Last year our end-of-grade-3-er jumped 7 grades in the Language component from the previous year!! He score Grade Level Equivalent 10.5!! So testing can be a neat and encouraging part of homeschool. (You can casually let the results slip into conversation when there are homeschool skeptics around...)

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM

An IOWA test, in most states, must be administered by a person with at least a bachelor's degree; you can order them (around $40) at several places. Just google "IOWA test for homeschool".

Placement tests can be found on homeschool publisher websites (depends on which curricula you are looking at).

Quoting headingsouth13:

where would i get them

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting headingsouth13:

either or both

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting headingsouth13:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN