Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would like any tips on getting daughter started in home schooling. Please.

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 331 Total Views

Trying to get started in home schooling.  Would like some helpful tips.  Please!!!!!!!!!

by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I would need more info...

The usual place to start is your state law/requirements. Try your state education website and www.hslda.com

Then ages of the kids. Are you starting from toddler/pre~k or have they been in public school? Advanced student? Lerning disabiliity?etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Helping Hands on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
smj1394
by Suzanne on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/ is a great site to see reviews on curriculms.

TxMommyOfBoys
by Ashley on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

How old are your kids?

downsouthjunkin
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Like Jinx said, definitely check your state laws. Read Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year and the Homeschool For Dummies book. Another book, The Well-Trained Mind, is loaded with info.

You can draw a lot of information from sites like the Well-Trained Mind forums, secularhomeschool.com, and of course, right here on CM.

Carrie1013
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I highly suggest the book "The Well-Trained Mind." It's fabulous! It basically lays out what to teach in such an easy way that it gives you total confidence that you can do it!

Love and Logic homeschooling parent to son K (age 3) and daughter M (age 16 months). See what we're doing at http://lincolnfreedomacademy.blogspot.com/

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM

1) go to hslda.com and find your state laws. Every state allows homeschooling in some capacity, but all have different laws regarding.

2) research different methods of education. Research and take notice to find out your teaching style and your child's learning style. No one way is good for everyone. For example, many people love the classical method - it was a disaster for us. You have so many options - classical, neo classical, charlotte mason, traditional scholastic, etc.

3) decide if you want a christian/protestant, christian/catholic, or secular program.

4) decide on your budget. Some homeschool for next to nothing, others spare no expense. I have no advice on doing it for nothing - I have shiny object syndrome, lol.

5) the fun part - research all of the curriculum options. At this point, get back to us and tell us what you have decided for steps 2-4 and we can help guide you (there are so many options these days, it can be overwhelming).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

killer2012
by Testing the waters on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. I've thinking on this for a while and recent events have givien me the push that I need.

killer2012
by Testing the waters on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I have one very gifted girl age11.  She is in 6th grade and way above her level.  We just moved about 2 months ago, and this new school is not helping her.  She has many interests and they seem to not care.

killer2012
by Testing the waters on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)