Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would like help getting started

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 190 Total Views

My daughter is six and in kindergarten. We do not like the public school she is in and can not afford private school. So we will be home schooling next year. So she will be in first when we start and my son will be In preschool. 

I could use some alive on what I need to do to get prepared. We live in Fl.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
smj1394
by Suzanne on Dec. 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

First you need to know the laws for the state of Fl.  www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=FL is a good website to check.

Then you would pick a curriculum.  http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/  is a good site to see reviews written by other homeschoolers.  Good Luck!

ambermario4ever
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Quoting smj1394:

First you need to know the laws for the state of Fl.  www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=FL is a good website to check.

Then you would pick a curriculum.  http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/  is a good site to see reviews written by other homeschoolers.  Good Luck!

Thank you

SnailGal
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM

FL is an easy state to homeschool in (I'm here too). You need to keep a portfolio for each kid. Basically just a binder with samples of their work from each subject. 1 or 2 samples from the beginning, middle, and end of year from each subject, daily log of activities, and anything extra you want to include (pics of outings or whatnot). You can even do the portfolio online on a private blog and have a teacher look at it and then do a video chat with you for the yearly evaluation that is required. (Just be sure to have the physical portfolio ready also in case the school district ever wanted to see it.)

ambermario4ever
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 16, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Quoting SnailGal:

FL is an easy state to homeschool in (I'm here too). You need to keep a portfolio for each kid. Basically just a binder with samples of their work from each subject. 1 or 2 samples from the beginning, middle, and end of year from each subject, daily log of activities, and anything extra you want to include (pics of outings or whatnot). You can even do the portfolio online on a private blog and have a teacher look at it and then do a video chat with you for the yearly evaluation that is required. (Just be sure to have the physical portfolio ready also in case the school district ever wanted to see it.)

Thank you

Carrie1013
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I highly suggest the book "The Well-Trained Mind." It basically lays out what to teach in such an easy way that it gives you total confidence that you can do it!

ambermario4ever
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Quoting Carrie1013:

I highly suggest the book "The Well-Trained Mind." It basically lays out what to teach in such an easy way that it gives you total confidence that you can do it!

Ok thanks ill look it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN