Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone purchase Starfall's Kindergarten curriculum?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 891 Total Views

Not their web services, but the actual curriculum?  I'm seriously considering it, but I want to do a little research on it before I drop the money...

http://www.starfall.com/n/N-info/curriculum.htm

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ps2512
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Not the curriculum, I have the paid website though and I love it so much, I would definitely consider the curriculum
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lhiannan
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I tried to do the paid website, since investing $35 to see what is available on that before I dropped $350+ on the program makes sense to me.  I used paypal and didn't realize that echeck was set as default, so now I have to wait til that clears :-/  I have a subscription to abcmouse.com, but I wanted something that was structured (easier for me to follow), and not primarily on the computer.  I think hands on is very important for small children, and like how they include games and such in the curriculum kit.  I was looking at timberdoodle, but I read that some of their stuff is religious (particularly their language arts books), and we're not Christian, so I was really looking for something secular.  I don't know if you checked out the curriculum from Starfall, but it seems very impressive to me after the loads of research I've done so far.  The teacher's guide is super comprehensive-each week's lesson plan is about 25 pages long, and it breaks everything down.

Quoting Ps2512:

Not the curriculum, I have the paid website though and I love it so much, I would definitely consider the curriculum

debramommyof4
by Helping Hands on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I really really want to buy thier curriculum and have since it came out but I just cant come up with the money.

lhiannan
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:15 AM

it isn't cheap, though it's not the most expensive I've seen, either.  The only reason i can afford it is because dh has been working a ton of overtime lately, and he also gets a Christmas bonus (which he doesnt receive until after Christmas :-/)

Quoting debramommyof4:

I really really want to buy thier curriculum and have since it came out but I just cant come up with the money.

AleaKat
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM
No we use ABC mouse

$80 a year for 3 accounts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lhiannan
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I have abcmouse, also.  I just wanted to do a full curriculum that was more hands on.  He's a kindergartener (special needs) and I would prefer something that wasn't so computer oriented. 

Quoting AleaKat:

No we use ABC mouse

AleaKat
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Computer lessons help with hand eye coordination but yea that's fine

Quoting lhiannan:

I have abcmouse, also.  I just wanted to do a full curriculum that was more hands on.  He's a kindergartener (special needs) and I would prefer something that wasn't so computer oriented. 

Quoting AleaKat:

No we use ABC mouse

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lhiannan
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I don't mind doing some of it on the computer, he loves the games on both starfall and abcmouse.  I would just prefer it to not make up the bulk of what he's doing right now. 

Quoting AleaKat:

Computer lessons help with hand eye coordination but yea that's fine

Quoting lhiannan:

Quoting AleaKat:

No we use ABC mouse

weezer_cookie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:49 AM
No, we just use the free version LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM

We're probably going to purchase the online subscription next year for my son. He's already finished the free portion of it (he's 3). We will use it in combination with other, hands on, materials for Kindergarten; MCP K for math, Explode the Code for additional phonics, Catholic Heritage Curriculum's "Letters for Little Folks" and "Numbers for Little Folks" for writing skills.

I looked at the full curriculum and I just wasn't very impressed with it, frankly.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)