Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please only reply if you have a child with add/adhd.

Posted by   + Show Post

Please no judgment. Thanks. :)

My third grader is currently enrolled in public school. He has severe adhd and is on medicine, he has been on medicine for two years. We noticed he is having negative side effects to the medicine and we feel it's in his best interest to get off the medicine completely and learn coping skills, since we do not want him on relying on medicine to get through the day.  The medicine DOES help him, but we're still getting notes home about his talking out of turn or too loudly.

What are your tips to getting through the day of homeschooling successfully? My son becomes frusterated and tearful when he is having trouble focusing or when a subject does not come easily to him.

I am really scared to homeschool because when we did homeschool 2 years ago, he argued over every assignment and it would take him FOREVER to complete a simple worksheet because his mind out easily wander. However I know medicine is no longer a good option for him and he cannot attend b&m school without the medicine. The teachers and staff are already frusterated with him and he is upset with himself because he feels "stupid" for forgetting the rules in the moment. Unmedicated, his life in public school will not be positive.

To add, I will be homeschooling and caring for my two younger children as well. They will be 3 and 2 when we start.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Replies (61-61):
tmcris
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I have four children, my oldes three I homeschool.  My oldest daughter who is 9 years old was diagnosed with ADHD during her kindergarten year.  We had to take her off of her meds because of the negative side effects (went through 7 meds in less than a year and a half).  This is my first year homeschooling her, and so far, so good.  I have learned that the following are important: be flexible, use hands-on as much as possible as part of instruction, incorporate technology when possible for review as well as a reward, use a mixture of books and audio books (my daughter loves to listen to her books during free read, but we use a regular chapter book at her reading level for reading instruction), incorporate their interests and input when possible, use instruction that can be chunked (for example spelling for 5 to 10 minutes, handwriting for 5 to 10 minutes), etc.  Hope this helps.

My daughter also has an undiagnosed learning disability, expressive/receptive language disorder, and occupational therapy needs in addition to ADHD.  It's not always a smooth road, but I feel like homeschooling her is in her best interest.  She even commented that she is starting to get things and understand them with out feeling anxious (she also has some anxiety too).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN