Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about homeschooling our daughter who is 4

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 174 Total Views

I have been really thinking about starting our daughter in homeschooling.  She has been in preschool, but I think its time to homeschool her.  I have been looking at Calvert Homeschooling curriculum, but wanted some advice on what you think the best option is and if you have heard of or used Calvert curriculum?

Thanks

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I've heard of it and not used it.

You don't need much for pre-school a time at which kids tend to learn the most by doing and playing rather than traditional school methods. If possible, garden and cook with her. Take her to the library, zoo and parks. Show her numbers, colors and letters. Read to her often and just enjoy her.

If I were going to buy any curriculum it would be something like Five in a Row and I'd borrow the books from the library for free.

http://fiarhq.com/fiveinarow.info/index.html

Also there are online educational things to print or play for young ones.

BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Not a fan of Calvert here...but I know a lot of families use it and like it. You can check reviews on it at www.homeschoolreviews.com.

We are using Christian Liberty Press curriculum kits are both kids are thriving with them. My 4 year old is using the Preschool kit plus the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading for phonics instruction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Calvert is a traditionally scholastic, rigorous program. I haven't used it, but know many who have and most seem to enjoy it. Their book selections are pretty good and their lesson plans do a great job of holding your hand.

I *am* a fan of curriculum. I know, I know, it isn't completely necessary with a preschooler, but I lean more traditionally scholastic (i.e. textbooks, workbooks/texts, etc). I think Calvert is a solid secular option (and there aren't many solid secular options, speaking of full curricula offerings).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)