Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how much does it cost for everything we would need?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 511 Total Views
After all these tragic even happening me and my Fiancé are wanting to home school our son Kris who is 5 and Jase when he's old enough. We aren't sure how much it cost or really anything about homeschooling. Help please :))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
If "current events" is your only reason for homeschooling, I would spend more time thnking and praying on it. Homeschooling is definitely a lifestyle choice and not to be jumped into without lots of thought and planning.

That said, it can cost as much or as little as you want it to, there are many options also. Going on your own and doing everything on your own, going youur own but using boxed curriculum,online schools, charter schools,combos of all of the above..etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this

this!  Definately!  It is a lifestyle choice and requires a lot of time usually.  The best money i ever spent (and the most for that matter) was on a good printer.  Most everything i get (curriculum, etc) is free.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

If "current events" is your only reason for homeschooling, I would spend more time thnking and praying on it. Homeschooling is definitely a lifestyle choice and not to be jumped into without lots of thought and planning.

That said, it can cost as much or as little as you want it to, there are many options also. Going on your own and doing everything on your own, going youur own but using boxed curriculum,online schools, charter schools,combos of all of the above..etc.

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Cost completely depends on what you want to/can spend. Some do it for free, using libraries and free online materials; others spend thousands.

I will also suggest that fear alone is not a great reason to homeschool. It takes dedication and a desire to do it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

smj1394
by Suzanne on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Cost is different depending on if you want to spent the time and do a lot of it yourself or if you want to buy a curriculum for someone.  The best is to research it.  Go to http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/ to see how others reviewed items and then you can search on the curriculums to see prices.  Another idea check out some homeschooling books from your library.

Good Luck!

tuffymama
by Helping Hands on Dec. 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM
I think child safety is an EXCELLENT reason to take on homeschooling; it always becomes more and bigger than the original reason anyway. Please don't be discouraged by people who have the best intentions and may not realize how negative they appear to a newbie. Safety is a big motivator in our decision to homeschool, in fact. I do agree that you should pray or meditate on it first, though. It's a bigger step in these modern times than it used to be. You need to be prepared for the conflicts that may arise in your household because you're not bringing in a FT income, friends and family may question your ability and motivation, and even total strangers can turn into vipers when they learn you homeschool. There persists a nasty social stigma against homeschooling in many communities. Personally, IDGAS what people think of me because I'm confident in myself as a person and in my love for my children. If you're going to do this, starch up your spine and practice saying, "thank you so much for your concern, but I'm not discussing this with you."

I'm homeschooling for free, mostly. We are book people in this family, so I buy books anyway and don't count that cost in homeschooling. I use paper and printer ink, and those are my biggest costs for schooling. Libraries, homeschool groups, museums, art galleries and centers, factories, national forests, farms, and even grocery shopping are just a few great homeschool field trips. Teach life skills to a five year old! Kindergerteners should know or learn to dress themselves, clean themselves, clean up after themselves, brush teeth scrupulously, make rudimentary meals and snacks for themselves or even others, alphabet, numbers, wash up after meals, use the phone, know full names, numbers and address of themselves and parents, etc. Start with that and see where he goes from there. Kids learn a lot through play at this age. Supervise him with a screwdriver and something simple to take apart and put together. Let him paint some old boards and glue them together. Simple activities like that encourage reasoning, fine motor skills, and creativity. Play music for him and just let him listen, sing, dance or whatever. READ TO THE KIDS! That is how my oldest learned to read. This is typical stuff kids and parents do, anyway, and it will all give you insight into Kris's learning style, so you'll know if you want to invest in a curriculum set NEXT YEAR, assemble one yourself, unschool him, use Charlotte Mason, Robinson Curriculum, or any of the plethora of curricula and styles out there. Above all, ask the questions you need answered, of anyone who will listen, and join whatever homeschool groups you can find. That's how I learned when I was starting out. There are super savvy ladies in this group, and I've met some awesome dynamos of homeschooling through the web and my local homeschool group.

Homeschooling can seem daunting, even to a fiercely stubborn woman like me (LOL), but once you get over the first obstacle in the beginning weeks, it's great!
motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I used $stores and www.havefunteaching.com or Damand.com password:BOB
motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I used $stores and www.havefunteaching.com or Damand.com password:BOB
kjohns0072
by Testing the waters on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM
I took my kids out of public school right after the shooting in CT. I had planned to do it next year anyway, but that was reason enough to begin now and I am enjoying it so much!! Some of my family really think it is terrible idea, but I really don't care what they think. I spent about $800 on curriculum , but I am sure you can get it for much cheaper. We are using the CLASS program through Christian liberty academy and really like it.
kjohns0072
by Testing the waters on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I took my kids out of public school right after the shooting in CT. I had planned to do it next year anyway, but that was reason enough to begin now and I am enjoying it so much!! Some of my family really think it is terrible idea, but I really don't care what they think. I spent about $800 on curriculum , but I am sure you can get it for much cheaper. We are using the CLASS program through Christian liberty academy and really like it.
gummibear
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I do a lot of mine online for free, I do have a couple of memberships (IXL.com is $15.95 for 4 kids a month) I print worksheets and when I have no ink i will either write the questions on paper or let the kids do them from the computer and just write their answers on paper. I go to goodwill and buy lots of books. The best investment for reading we got, my FIL bought us the Hooked on Phonics reading power builders, and I love them. My 8 and 9 year olds do one every morning. Handwriting without tears workbooks are $8.25 for the childs workbook, but like everyone else said it is all depends on what and how you wanna do it. But make sure you check with the laws in your state on what is required.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN