Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about homeschooling 3 boys how hard would this be?

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 336 Total Views

I am a mom to 5 wonderful kids and am thinking about homeschooling 3 of the youngest next school year. One will be in 4th, one in 2nd and one in kindergarten. My oldest will be a senior next year and the next oldest will be in 9th. They both love ps and would prefer to stay there. Of course the recent shootings have got me thinking about this more and also i have a few family memebers who homeschool their children and love it. We have an excellent enviroment at home for them to learn in but i'm a little scared of how hard this might be to teach 3 at once. My husband is a pastor and a full time seminary student and does all his learning at home, and i am a stay at home mom so i think together we could make it work. Also cirriculum is very confusing and expensive. Don't know where to start there either. Any advice would be great. thanks!

by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Moma3boyz
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Boys are fun! I have 3 that I'm with right now. We do a lot of "boy" things like bug catching which then turns into trying to figure out what it is, what it eats, ect. We also have been working on fractions by baking cookies for Christmas. Once I figured out how they learn it was actually fairly easy. I haven't bought any type of curriculum. We use almost a cross of unschooling and Charlotte mason learning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zandizane
by Testing the waters on Dec. 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to hs 3 of mine :/
ablessedlife
by Helping Hands on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM
I have four boys and three are school-aged: grade 4, 2 and 1. I think it is wonderful that you are thinking of hsing. You will make many great memories and you will never regret it.

I can tell you about what I use and maybe some of it will be suitable for you. Every family is different, you know. I use:

Math: Saxon ( I buy used or at christianbook.com)
Language Arts: The oldest uses Excellence in Writing and the younger two do other stuff: letter writing, write out memory verse, read tons of books, I read aloud to them a lot, I'm also using Easy Grammar this year.
Science: Apologia. I read it aloud and then the oldest two write in their science journals. We do the activities and experiments from the book.
Social Studies: Mystery of History. Mostly read aloud, but it goes over their heads sometimes. It is better for higher levels... We also do Canadian topics.
Bible: I was using BJU but it is so costly. This year or grade 1/2 I am using the grade 1 curriculum from discipleland.com. It is so great, I used it with our oldest when he was that age. It covers grade 1Social Studies topics (homes, occupations, families, growing up, etc.). The oldest is doing the Mailbox Club and personal devotions.

I found it fairly easy to hs two of them and more challenging to do three, but I am getting the hang of it. And the third is finally starting to read. Once they can read, it makes everything easier because you can give them things that they can do on their own. And scheduling ... Well, I find that it is a juggling act. Keeping them busy so they are not bored or fighting. Having you husband at home will be very helpful. You could seat one of the boys near him when he is studying, for example.

It is a wonderful lifestyle to be at home and have the kids learning with us. We sing, do arts and crafts, take violin lessons, make music together, cook and work together. We also expect them to excel in academics, and they are always doing that. And when extra help is needed, we are there to provide the support, patience, whatever they need. And the boys play together a lot. Especially the younger two (our youngest is four).

oahoah
by Helping Hands on Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I am homeschooling my 3 boys (ages 8, 5, 3).  We are still "new" although we started in Spring 2011.  We have had the fortune of joining local groups/ co-ops which have been my greatest support (along with my husband).  Through the mentors I have met I have been able to get real reviews and many times get free curriculum to try.  We have gone through several different ones and are still trying as we go (have shelfed our KONOS because it requires too much organization and am going to try My Father's World).  I just subscribed to Practical Homeschooler and received some great newsletters with helpful advice.  

My advice is that it can only be as hard as you make it.  With your husband being there that is one of the greatest things I think, especially for boys. My boys are needing much Daddy time and it is hard, his long hours so that I can stay home and homeschool mean less interaction but we try to make it work.  With God on our side, all things are possible.

sahm2shaina
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 23, 2012 at 8:25 AM
You have nothing to loose by trying it for a year or even just a semester- you won't know how hard it is until you try- if The Lord is calling you to do this he will give you the grace to get through it.
bolz08
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

5 boys here:) 3  are school age good times, work for sure but fun...crazy days....we use 5 in a Row for a base right now.

Theresa675
by Testing the waters on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You will miss  the time that the boys would normally be in school.  LOL

We have enjoyed using Christian Liberty Press.  

TxMommyOfBoys
by Ashley on Dec. 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM
My boys are about your kids ages :) you can do it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)