Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschooling for the first time need help getting started

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 500 Total Views

I have a son age 9 in the third grade. I have pulled him from public schools due to bullying. With that being said we are just now starting out with this homeschooling and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make things a little easier and if you know of any places where materials will be cheap. Because we are doing this on a budget. Please and thank you.

by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
th78
by Testing the waters on Dec. 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry your son was bullied. My dd was too which is why we homeschool. I went through a local place here in KY called Pole School. Good luck on your adventure. You will love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by Helping Hands on Dec. 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM
I get a lot of stuff used at www.homeschoolclassifieds.com. If you know what you like, you can usually find it for 40%-70% off new.

If you don't mind a Christian Curriculum, you can get a great Curriculum Kit at Christian Liberty Press. Thats what we are using this year and we are very happy. Here is the 3rd grade kit: http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/grade-3-clp-curriculum-kit/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM
If you know what you want to use check ebay for books. Ive been getting my T.E. and readers for half off or more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
downsouthjunkin
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I agree with Dawn about Ebay. You might also check out Time4Learning. It's only $20/month and is for four different subjects. I would combine T4L, workbooks, and the library if on a tight budget. Also, you might check out khan academy online. Or, you can check out Rainbow Resource Center curriculum starter pkgs. (they show one for 3rd grade for $153) Welcome to the group!

Sorry to hear your son was being bullied. That is why we homeschool.

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Dec. 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I like the literature and history stories from www.amblesideonline.com most are free online books or can be found in the library and can usually be found free as audio books on www.librivox.org. We also use another free site where we get more lit, math, grammar and a bit more again for free it's www.oldfashionededucation.com and the math we use is the MEPs program from CIMT, the grammar is found on the side bar under grammar I believe but it is Scott Foresman grammar. I like to use www.bookadventure.com to encourage reading and help build comprehension in a fun way.  We use www.spellingcity.com to help enforce spelling.  I also like www.dltk-teach.com for ideas.  There is so much out there, other great useful sites are www.coolmath.com and www.khanacademy.com.  Good luck, you can do this on a budget! 

girlnextdoornco
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM

So sorry to hear your son was being bullied at school. badBut...I think it's great that you've decided to homeschool!  It can be challenging, especially the first year, but the rewards are certainly worth it and your boy will feel safe and loved.  I've found this series of articles about homeschooling from the Focus on the Family website to be quite helpful.  Also, you may want to check out The Teaching Home website.  They offer tons of information, support group services and free online help.  Hope you and your little guy enjoy this new way of life!  Blessings!

oahoah
by Helping Hands on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM

You are off to a good start. I found my best (and often free) curriculum from local groups I found through Yahoo. That being said, we are getting ready to hit our 2 year mark in March and still trying out new curriculum.  Still learning new things about homeschooling in general and trying to get something that works for all of us (our 3 boys are 8, 5, 3).  We mostly stick with Christian curriculum and I have found things through CBD.com, Vision Forum, Doorposts, just to name a few.  Good luck & congratulations on the decision.

maggiemom2000
by Helping Hands on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

We did a lot with:

http://www.time4learning.com

http://www.spellingcity.com (you can do a lot with the free version)

http://www.homeschoolshare.com (free unit studies and literature units)

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Www.havefunteaching.com Damand.com password: BOB
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pelina
by Testing the waters on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Hello,

I have decided to homeschool but I don't have a clue where to start.  Would you recommend a weekly or a monthly lesson plan? Will a complete curriculum provide me with a full lesson plan? I am afraid of getting overwhelmed teaching grade 5th and 2nd at the same time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN