Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

science anyone?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 290 Total Views

Alright, I have 2 science books just sitting in my filing cabinet and i feel like i should be using them, but the kids really like doing the experiments.  is it okay to do just that for a while or is the difference between sea lions and seals really that important?

breastfeedingCameron bouncing momTrev & Gracie kissing dad

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gummibear
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:37 AM

That all depends on the age in my opinion  LOL My children also love the projects more than "learning" they are 5,8,9. I want them to enjoy it while they can.

birthymom4
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
We do the book work, I personally find it extremely important....
I have The Harcourt textbooks, we just read, write the definitions and do the review....No need to do Mountains of work....
Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

we do the reading and then find an experiment to go along with the reading to help cement the ideas.  It might be as simple as layers of clay cut to show fault lines and earth layers or something more intense as a volcano over several days (were in the middle of earth science if you couldn't tell lol).

Pukalani79
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

We're starting a new science curriculum today.  We'll do the reading and writing assignment one week, then the next we'll do the project that goes with it. 

GELiz
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Pukalani79:

We're starting a new science curriculum today.  We'll do the reading and writing assignment one week, then the next we'll do the project that goes with it. 

I like this plan.The reading and remembering of information is important to create associations in the brain. The more information and experience the child has the more "places" in the brain to store the knowledge which will increase memory retrieval. So do both in a way that doesn't get boring. :) Teacher opinion. That's why it comes out so strident- sorry. sometimes I have mom opinions, sometimes grandma opinions and sometimes teacher opinions. LOL

TxMom2324
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Do do you stay with one subject I'or do you fine a week lesson and then a project?

Quoting GELiz:

Quoting Pukalani79:

I like this plan.The reading and remembering of information is important to create associations in the brain. The more information and experience the child has the more "places" in the brain to store the knowledge which will increase memory retrieval. So do both in a way that doesn't get boring. :) Teacher opinion. That's why it comes out so strident- sorry. sometimes I have mom opinions, sometimes grandma opinions and sometimes teacher opinions. LOL

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM
We're using Apologia's Astronomy book. So we'll do a broad theme of astronomy and then each week do smaller subject lessons. These two weeks it's "What is Astronomy?" Next week we'll do the sun. We'll do a lesson set on each of the planets, the moon, space rocks, stars and galaxies and space travel.
Quoting TxMom2324:

Do do you stay with one subject I'or do you fine a week lesson and then a project?

Quoting GELiz:

Quoting Pukalani79:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)