Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Routine or Schedule?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 588 Total Views

It's been a few years since I homeschooled my children so it's going to take me a bit to get back into the swing of things. What kind of routine or schedule do you have for your middle school aged child?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We work in the afternoons and evenings, since that works best for my daughter.  1pm to 6 pm, is when we get the bulk of our school work done.  11am to 12pm we do reading or something easy to get in to the school mind set.  We take breaks after each subject which the time varies.

NYCitymomx3
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

My 11 y/o 6th grader does:

M, T, Th, F = Math & Language Arts (30 minutes each)

W = Science & Art OR History and Art (1 hr each)

M,W,F = Cardio/strength-training at the gym (2 hours)

Sa = Musical theater class & youth show choir (4 hours)

Su = CCD (religion class) (1.25 hrs)

I schedule 20-minutes of reading each day as well, a book of his choice.  We go to the library once a week and picks out a few.  Academics are usually from 10am to noon.

We also go on at least 2 field trips each month either by ourselves or with the homeschool group.

motheroffour186
by Helping Hands on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

everyday we work on a subject the children pick

ButterflyFree67
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely LOVE your schedule!! Impressive. 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

My 11 y/o 6th grader does:

M, T, Th, F = Math & Language Arts (30 minutes each)

W = Science & Art OR History and Art (1 hr each)

M,W,F = Cardio/strength-training at the gym (2 hours)

Sa = Musical theater class & youth show choir (4 hours)

Su = CCD (religion class) (1.25 hrs)

I schedule 20-minutes of reading each day as well, a book of his choice.  We go to the library once a week and picks out a few.  Academics are usually from 10am to noon.

We also go on at least 2 field trips each month either by ourselves or with the homeschool group.

AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

This year's been a bit chaotic with the birth of our new little miracle. She does every subject, every day, but *when* largely depends on when her younger brothers aren't being little menaces. Lol.

Next year (grade 7) her schedule will look like this:

M, T, W, Th - Morning board work, math, grammar, writing, history, science, literature, french, religion

Friday - Math, literature, geography, art history, ASL

Tuesday and Thursday evenings she also has ballet.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

SusanTheWriter
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:15 AM

DD prefers block scheduling, but we've had to tweak our schedule a couple of times this year. Currently, we do

MWF: Algebra and Chemistry

TTh: History, Lit and Spanish

She prefers MWF!

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are our co-op days.  Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday are our at home days.  We also homeschool all year long.   Our at home days are fairly relaxed but busy.  We have a morning and afternoon session with a two hour break between them.  In the morning we do English, writing, Math, reading, spelling, vocab, and whatever else that come up.  Our afternoon session is spent on History and Science.  I am also adding on 4H soon on every other Monday.  We also take karate about 2-3 days per week.

GodFavored
by Testing the waters on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Ok here goes.

9:00 to 9:15 math facts usually on computer by himself

9:30 Pray and usually a scripture relating to real life issues.

9:45 to 10:00 Teaching time. Math

10: 10:30 practice math,  Hands on (computer or worksheet or game)

5 minute break.

10:35 Phoincs  10:45  review

10:45  12 language arts and Grammar  this is usually reading a book for fluency and comprehension  vocabulary Spelling

Break for lunch 12:00-12:45  

12:45 1:15  writing

break 1:15 to 1:30

Social studies  six weeks and then Science next six weeks  1;30-2:00

2:00 2:30 we do a special/  gym/ art /pe/ Cooking class.  

I have to admit it hard to fit the special end.  By this time I am leaving to pick up other kids from school.  I am working on be able to fit more of the specials in and being consistent.  there is also a lot of things we have to do some of the lesson in the car as we are driving,  I make sure he has a chalkboard and paper and computer activities in the car,  For times when we have appts.  I believe the trick is being prepare for change.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM

My 7th Grader does:

Monday: Math, Science, History, Grammar & Spelling

Tuesday : Math, Science, History, Grammar, Spelling & Gymnastics

Wednesday:  Math, Literature and Language arts tutoring at co-op, Religion (Confirmation class @ church)

Thursday: same as Tues plus Theater rehearsal in the evening.

Friday: Math & Literature @ co-op and anything not finished earlier in the week.

In general we start around 9:30-10am ...work until about noon, take a 1 hour break for lunch and are done by 3pm. They take potty/play breaks as needed in between. As long as they finish their assignment sheet each day, I don't really care how/when.

puglove029
by Testing the waters on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Thanks so much for the replies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)